Ultimate Software/Hardware Set-up

Discussion in 'Software' started by Barry J. Doyle, Jul 8, 2005.

1. smamdani

smamdani Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my X41, and I wanted to get a sense of what people thought were the essential tablet software and hardware applications.

Here's my software list, so far.

Tablet Enhancements for Outlook
    Office 2003 (some version, probably STE)
    OneNote vs. GoBinder--still waiting to be convinced here, a lot of this will depend on what I hear about how the IBM's mic works, or if any tablet mic will reliably record lectures

As far as hardware goes,

I didn't get the dock, so I'll be looking for an external optical drive--any suggestions would be welcome--price range of under 175 if possible
    As a law student, the idea of scanning my reading and annotating it in pdf form intrigues me. What kind of hardware/software set-up will get this done right? I'm leaning towards a pen-based scanner, but let me know of any experiences you've had.

That's about it. I look forward to hearing some good suggestions. Thanks

2. ToddLarson5

ToddLarson5 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have nearly the same situation so anyone with an answer to this question please post, it would be much appreciated.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You will most likely benefit from OneNote since it integrates with the rest of MS Office. I would also purchase a scanner and accurate OCR software to go with it. Check out Readiris Pro:

http://www.irislink.com/welcome/us.html

Barry