Ultimate de-bloat win10 for Tablet PCs?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by artistebot, Aug 9, 2019.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone found a (step-by-step?) guide on how to better "optimize" windows (~latest ver) for tablet screen/de-bloat windows to remove as much as possible leaving only:

A simple UI without effects (simple dark grey, no transparency, animations, etc...)
    Duplicate apps, leaving only essential system tools and art productivity apps. (no games, no ads, no bling, etc)
    Perhaps "Android-Like" so the use of the menus and bar are not necessary?
    An optimal on-screen keyboard when needed during the use such as PS or zBrush?
    Basically have a TOOL that ONLY runs productivity apps, no movies, games, social media etc.

I hate mucking around in windows, so many ways to do the same or similar thing and not knowing there is difference?

wytn and WillAdams like this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

That is all a lot more trouble than it's worth. You're trying to make Windows into something it's not. Millions of professionals use Windows and make do with the "bloat", it'll save you time in the long run to ignore it rather than trying to make Windows into an embedded/kiosk system.

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use these two tools during every clean install of Windows 10:
    The first utility disables most telemetry services and adds hosts entries to block tracking servers.

The second really gets into the meat of things, by step-by-step removing the UWP bloatware, disabling background service overhead, and adjusting the maze of UWP Settings. Please read carefully and apply only the steps that you want for your system.

(PSA: if you want to keep Windows Store functionality, briefly launch the Store and add let it log in before applying the above procedures, or you may have issues launching the Store even if you didn't remove it.)

WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This might be a better approach than my scorched earth version.

My way prevents access to the MS store. -And for some reason, I can't get USB 3 to Ethernet dongles to work on any of the computers I've got Win 10 build 1703 installed on. -Which doesn't prevent me from getting super-speeds over Ethernet, but it does mean my cool USB 3 dongles (the kind with the blue plastic inside the plug) don't work.

Does your lock down prevent automatic updates from taking over your computer? (Or at least allow you to schedule them?) That's still one of the major drawbacks to leaving things in MS's hands.

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes as far as I can tell, it prevents automatic updates until you you specifically install them via Settings.

The relevant part is the "No more forced updates" section of the Windows 10 Privacy Guide:

(cmd prompt admin)

Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallDay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallTime /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

PSA: The updates will accumulate in one huge batch after a while, so if you want to selectively install some, use the wushowhide tool and hide the updates you don't want, restart, and verify they are gone from the pending updates list before proceeding.

crazycat, WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.