Ultimate de-bloat win10 for Tablet PCs?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by artistebot, Aug 9, 2019.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone found a (step-by-step?) guide on how to better "optimize" windows (~latest ver) for tablet screen/de-bloat windows to remove as much as possible leaving only:

A simple UI without effects (simple dark grey, no transparency, animations, etc...)
    Duplicate apps, leaving only essential system tools and art productivity apps. (no games, no ads, no bling, etc)
    Perhaps "Android-Like" so the use of the menus and bar are not necessary?
    An optimal on-screen keyboard when needed during the use such as PS or zBrush?
    Basically have a TOOL that ONLY runs productivity apps, no movies, games, social media etc.

I hate mucking around in windows, so many ways to do the same or similar thing and not knowing there is difference?

wytn and WillAdams like this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

That is all a lot more trouble than it's worth. You're trying to make Windows into something it's not. Millions of professionals use Windows and make do with the "bloat", it'll save you time in the long run to ignore it rather than trying to make Windows into an embedded/kiosk system.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I use these two tools during every clean install of Windows 10:
    The first utility disables most telemetry services and adds hosts entries to block tracking servers.

The second really gets into the meat of things, by step-by-step removing the UWP bloatware, disabling background service overhead, and adjusting the maze of UWP Settings. Please read carefully and apply only the steps that you want for your system.

(PSA: if you want to keep Windows Store functionality, briefly launch the Store and add let it log in before applying the above procedures, or you may have issues launching the Store even if you didn't remove it.)

WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This might be a better approach than my scorched earth version.

My way prevents access to the MS store. -And for some reason, I can't get USB 3 to Ethernet dongles to work on any of the computers I've got Win 10 build 1703 installed on. -Which doesn't prevent me from getting super-speeds over Ethernet, but it does mean my cool USB 3 dongles (the kind with the blue plastic inside the plug) don't work.

Does your lock down prevent automatic updates from taking over your computer? (Or at least allow you to schedule them?) That's still one of the major drawbacks to leaving things in MS's hands.

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes as far as I can tell, it prevents automatic updates until you you specifically install them via Settings.

The relevant part is the "No more forced updates" section of the Windows 10 Privacy Guide:

(cmd prompt admin)

Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallDay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallTime /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

PSA: The updates will accumulate in one huge batch after a while, so if you want to selectively install some, use the wushowhide tool and hide the updates you don't want, restart, and verify they are gone from the pending updates list before proceeding.

crazycat, WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

I won't tell you it isn't worth doing, because I love customizing my computers and do stuff like this myself. But you're getting into customization, so instead of expecting someone to have already compiled every tweak you want in one spot, you'll get better results making a list of everything you want to change, and go down that figuring out how to do them one at a time. You might even learn to love mucking about in Windows. One of us, one of us....

That said, some of my favorite de-bloat tools for Windows....

Blackbird: https://www.getblackbird.net/ automates a lot of privacy stuff and puts it all in one place.

Iobit uninstaller: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_uninstaller.html Don't bother with the paid version, free version works fine. You can uninstall it after it's done its work if you have Windows updates turned off. Uninstalls a lot of the Windows UWP bloatware.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10
    and
    WinAero Tweaker: https://winaero.com/download.php?view.1796
    Both of those have a lot of little tweaks and enhancements, and while there's some overlap they each do some unique things. It's one of these that's keeping my Windows updates from running, I don't even remember which was the one that did it, but it works really well and is less of a pain than the whole wushowhide workaround. Note that without updates, you can't download things from the Windows Store, or update UWP apps. (Just the UWP apps from the store.) You can, however, continue to use UWP apps that are already installed. And you can uncheck whatever boxes to let the Store work again to get an app, though be prepared for your computer to rush to update itself.

7+ Taskbar Tweaker: https://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker Gets a special mention because it's the only thing I've found that turns off those infernal popups when you hover over anything on the taskbar. The registry fix everyone says to do for that doesn't actually work. The group policy edit for it also doesn't work. Everyone says to do those two, but they haven't worked in years. People just say, "live with it, it can't be done." Well, it most certainly can.

Graphics bells and whistles can just be turned off in the settings. Settings > System > About > System Info (under Related Settings, off to the right) > Advanced System Settings > and under the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings. That will bring up a window where you can tweak a lot of graphics and performance stuff.

The UI tweaks are a separate topic, but can contribute just as much to how much you enjoy working with your computer. The thing is, tastes vary a lot on that. I don't know what exactly you mean by "Android-like," but that is something I personally don't want out of Windows. Start10 and StartIsBack are two (pay, but cheap) programs I know that restyle the taskbar and start menu, though they have more of a Win 7 aesthetic.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/
    https://startisback.com/

There are others that give more of a Mac-like experience, and I'm sure you can find something to your tastes out there if you dig around. Most of the good stuff is paid, but a one-time $5-10 charge is worth it if it makes your computer that you use every day much better for you.

On-screen keyboard: there are a lot of ways you could go with this. PS has a new feature with floating on-screen modifiers, but there's third-party stuff out there. There are third-party keyboards you could try to customize, and some stuff made for artists like ArtDock, as well as fiddling with the radial menu in your Wacom driver options, if you have those. I'm not an expert there because that isn't my workflow: I prefer maximum screen real estate, and physical buttons. To that end, there are a number of ways to get more buttons: remotes, from the Wacom ExpressKeys remote (no one will say clearly if it works with tablet PCs with no Cintiq: answer, getting the drivers to get along can be fiddly, but yes, it works) to the far cheaper Xp-pen remote, to a powerpoint remote or a simple bluetooth numpad if you're willing to do some scripting.

You absolutely can make the lean, mean productivity tool of your dreams. But it requires some patience and a willingness to tinker. People who won't tinker put up with bloat and machines that never do quite what they want and do a lot of things they don't want. My advice to you if you want to get into tinkering is to learn to enjoy the journey itself. There's nothing quite like that feeling when another piece slips into place and your machine starts behaving like you want when everyone told you it couldn't be done or didn't matter.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. sosimple

sosimple Pen Pal - Newbie