Ubuntu - TX2500 no boot

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by eko2, Jul 3, 2008.

1. noxis

noxis Pen Pal - Newbie

An OSX installation with working touch screen would be very tasty indeed.

Also I think Compiz on Linux (spinning cube by swipping your finger across the screen!) would be pretty awesome :)

2. tC_Crazy

tC_Crazy Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, there may be some progress in installing Ubuntu on our tablets! In this thread on the Ubuntu forums, these guys have found the problem (thermal shutdown triggered by acpi reporting very high temps) and have a few potential solutions. First, using boot options (F6 at the start screen) noacpi acpi=off nolapic, you can boot up. However, this disables acpi which brings wifi, sound, and the digitizer with it.. and sets the fan to max 100% of the time.

HOWEVER, it gets BETTER! It seems to be a few boot options entered in at startup may disable the THERMAL module within ACPI without disabling ACPI! They also brainstormed a few other ideas. I'll definitely try these out when i get off work.

Here's the thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5391138&posted=1#post5391138

3. Cadaeic

Cadaeic Scribbler - Standard Member

Hrm, so it's still a workaround per se.

Has the actual solution determined to be a fixed BIOS?

4. tC_Crazy

Yes, this is a workaround. It WILL disable the thermal module which means if your cpu really does overheat it most likely will not shut down.

Now, I wonder if it's possible that the Turion Ultra really IS running as hot as ACPI reports, or if there is just a software problem inflating the temp readings. After 5-10 quick restarts (less than 2 minutes on power each time, 10s break in between... trying different boot options on Ubuntu) the temps got as high as 80C by the time the thermal module was loaded and it stopped running. I mean, the computer blows some VERY hot air out the back, but is it really hot enough to be carrying out heat from a CPU running at 170F+? I don't know, and my gut feeling is that the system is just reporting higher temps than are actually there.

However, until that is figured out, i think this is a great advance, since it gets Ubuntu actually running without breaking major components.

5. kirkosa

kirkosa Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed fedora 8 86-64 tx2454ca.
    acpi=off and I have sound.
    Havent tested stylus/touchscreen, wireless,bluetooth yet.
    Will do so in the coming weekend.
    LAN works out of the box.

6. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

There is a good string in the forum at pclinuxos on how to get linux on the tx series and have a working touch screen with a 25 point calibration.

7. kirkosa

kirkosa Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you put up the link?

8. tC_Crazy

9. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. kirkosa

kirkosa Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks but it is not working.
    I tried it from here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1593330&group_id=69596&atid=525127
    It works with the tx2000, but it doesnt work with the tx2500.
    Same kernel 2.6.24.5/19 x86-64 fedora 8 both kernels work with tx2000. I did install it with tx2000 while back ago.

With the tx2500z, I didnt get any error message.Everything installs correctly but the stylus/touchscreen do not respond at all.
    Not sure why?