Ubuntu pre-installed

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by iwant12, Jul 27, 2010.

1. iwant12

iwant12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I'm interested to know if any manufacturers sell tablets with Ubuntu pre-installed(ie. 10.04). I think Dell & HP can setup Ubuntu notebooks.

And if anyone has purchased one what were there experiences? All devices working ok?

Or even if a standard notebook any issues to be aware of? TIA.

Regards

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

AFAIK no manufacturer sells a Tablet PC with Linux pre-installed, in fact I think Dell have just stopped offering Ubuntu on their computers.

Obviously, you're free to install it yourself and it should work fine. Device driver support will vary model to model so check out other posts on here for individuals experiences.

3. iwant12

iwant12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your response adam.mt, I guess I was a bit wishful! From what I've seem most Ubuntu tablet installs don't seem to be able to get full functionality or not without some in depth configuration.

However I did find a company that does provide a pre-install Ubuntu service..

Notebooks - VG Computing

So this will do & I'll follow it up (when the funds allow!)

Regards

4. guarionex

guarionex Pen Pal - Newbie

I found a site that claims to sell Pad with multi os installed for a multi boot includes Android ubuntu and WinCe.Don't take my word for it please do a search.
    Smart Devices SmartQ MID Tablet PC Smart Devices SmartQ V5

hXXp://www.chinistore dot com/lang-en/12-buy-mid-tablet-pc-smart-devices-smartq-v5.html

5. der Papst

der Papst Pen Pal - Newbie

There are roumors about notion ink adam will be avaiable with ubuntu too.
    Are there any sources for that?

The power of the tegra2-Platform, the very little energy need and the freedom of Linux would create infinite possibilities for this tablet.

Even automation and server applications are possible!

6. suarez_929

suarez_929 Pen Pal - Newbie

7. sama98b

sama98b Pen Pal - Newbie

I think main reason they don't sell pc-s with linux to every day ppl that 1 command in terminal can easily brake the full system and recovery is not possible most time without knowing linux inside-out.

And updates every few days can brake a lot of things one day and fix the other.

Usual linux is not meant for ppl who don't know how their pc/os works.
    Guessing this is the reason ubuntu going user friendly 11.04 and by that killing most features that usual linux users need or make it hard to re implement.