Ubuntu on Sony Vaio duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by kamesh419, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kamesh419

kamesh419 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can any noble soul post detailed instructions on how to dual boot Windows 8 with Ubuntu on Sony Vaio duo 11? I have been looking for some proper instructions since several months now on the internet and could not find any. I was able to find some basic instructions on how to install Ubuntu from the following link. But the instructions in the following link are unclear as to what steps need to be taken to dual boot it with Windows 8. It is not very clear if he is using Windows UEFI, grub or legacy mode?

VAIO Duo 11 – Ubuntu Linux (12.10) - Thoughts from Josh Taylor

Thanks and regards,
    Kamesh

2. kamesh419

kamesh419 Pen Pal - Newbie

After researching for quite some days I am now ready to go ahead with installing Linux (dual booting with Windows8) on the ultrabook that I bought (Sony Vaio Duo 11). I am attaching a screenshot of my partitions. http://imgur.com/MU2EqSe

I am planning to follow the following guide.

How to dual-boot Windows 8 and Linux

The plan is to use Windows boot manager manage the dual booting as described in the guide. Not exactly sure if that is a sane decision :) . Since I have touch screen device I believe it would be nice to have the nice interface which Windows8 provides :) .

I will be installing Kubuntu on D:\ partition. The grub2 will be installed as indicated in the attached screenshot at the begining of D:\ . I believe that Kubuntu (or rather Ubuntu) is Secure boot and UEFI compatible and all I have to do is disable fast boot in Windows8. Hopefully I am not making any mistakes.

Please comment if there are any other things that I need to take care of.

diskpartition.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.