Ubuntu on Fujitsu T5010?

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by jaydeee, Feb 26, 2010.

1. FC1032

FC1032 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello everyone,

I recently posted a 'what tablet should i buy' but in one of my questions, I think it is more suitable to ask my question here.

I know that the Fujitsu T5010 is reasonably new, but has anyone put ubuntu on it and got the digitizer, screen rotation, sound and everything to work?

Thanks in advance:)

2. TenX

TenX 3D Animation Student

what is so good about ubuntu i must ask?
    i often hear it a lot but couldn't found what is it so good for, please tell me and sorry for the off topic.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

i haven't done it, because I don't use Linux and don't have a T5010, but it should be possible.
    The Fujitsu uses common hardware.

The digitizer will work, because it is the same used in older devices. http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/
    For display rotation you'll need the proper graphics drivers. Because the T5010 uses the normal IGP from Intel and no special graphics card this shouldn't be a problem, too.
    The tablet buttons seem to be the same used in the T4220 and T2010, so they should also work.
    The same with the rest.

So even if the T5010 is new, I think there should be working drivers for the hardware the T5010 uses out already.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Free, open source, secure, best OS for programmers, and much more.

5. DBBGBA

DBBGBA Pen Pal - Newbie

Ubuntu is a good operating system as any other, same thing that make any linux distro grate and any operative system awsome, just like vista and mac.

It goes down to what you prefer, if you want stability, a free software without spyware and viruses but not many mainstream programs/games or support from resellers then ubuntu (or any other linux) is for you. Instead if you use a lot of professional graphic software like the adobe suite or similar, tons of games, a lot of third party support but also a load of spyware and viruses then vista should be your choice. Ultimately if you don't care for an overpriced computer or you use some graphical professional programs only built for it (such as shake) then you should get a mac.
    All of them have advantages and disadvantages but in the end they all serve the same purpose, whoever tells you differently doesn't know what he's talking about!
    By the way maya is much more stable on linux than windows, if you use that for 3D animation.

getting back on topic, it seems to me that the hardware present in the fujitsu tablet is pretty mainstream, ubuntu should run flawlessly... get the 64bit version if you have 4gb of ram.

6. SteveMC

SteveMC Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a word of warning, - if you go for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty), the Wacom drivers work, but due to changes in the way the system picks up the devices, you can't configure or calibrate the tablet settings at all. There's a (very) long thread on the subject at the Ubuntu forums - though note that it also covers older version of Ubuntu which had different issues!

I've not managed to persuade the config tools to work yet, but will probably have another go.

If you want the buttons on the screen to work, you'll need to add a repository to your software sources (see here for info) and then install the fjbtndrv package.

Oh, and the fingerprint reader won't work, as there's currently no Linux driver for the device (due to it apparently doing various things in an encrypted manner within the hardware).

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. FC1032

FC1032 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello everyone,

Sorry for abandoning my thread.

In the end, i did not buy the T5010, instead i bought a toshiba m750. I got ubuntu and windows vista in a dual boot.

The pen and touch works great on both =) but not doubt ubuntu is much more fun to play with if you have a tablet.

Anyway for those who are tring to configure the M750 with ubuntu follow this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1055845

Thanks~

8. jaydeee

jaydeee Pen Pal - Newbie

as an IT I use linux for recovery purposes (if everything failed). :)

I just need some corporate software to run on my system that is why still have to use windows :(