ubuntu on a c142xl?

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by johnny fresh, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny fresh

johnny fresh Pen Pal - Newbie

so...i've had my tablet for probably 3 weeks now. these three weeks have been my first experience with vista. i decided today that i hate it. and not really wanting to go back to xp, i went googling linux. after reading about how amazing this OS is, i think i want to attempt installing it. but i have a few questions.

first and foremost: do any of you use any of the linux distros? how well do they run on a tablet? i know the pen is just a mouse replacement and using it as such should work fine, but what about text recognition and input? that little tab for text input on vista is pretty handy, is there something comperable for linux?

second: i saw a video of Compiz in action and nearly peed my pants. this is what a GUI should look like. it makes leopard, and vista for sure, look archaic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImW0-MgR8I&feature=related

i checked the requirements and they have "an ATI card, 7500 series or newer" listed. will my ati radeon x2300 blah blah work?

finally, i'm completely new to linux. how's the learning curve? i've been unhappy with microsoft for awhile now, but have always seen it as too daunting a task to learn a completely new OS. also, i'm lazy. lol. but i'm pretty into the idea now and the thought of starting over doesn't seem too bad anymore. should i stock up on aleve?

thank you!

----edit-----

one more question. will i be able to use my fingeprint reader with any of the distros?

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I too am a Linux novice, my experience has been limited to using it within VirtualBox on my tablet. MY personal impression is that, while Linux is a decent OS, it does have a couple of hangups that need to be solved. The biggest problem that I would foresee is the difficulty in getting everything to work. These forums are FILLED with users that installed various flavors of Linux, and all invariably contain accounts of difficulties encountered getting the hardware to work with the software. I never took the plunge because of these difficulties. I need something that works without my needing to hack into it's innards to convince it to do the right thing.

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

If you switch your TPC to Linux and expect to use it as a Tablet you will not be very happy. If on the other hand you get un-lazy and want to tweak everything and learn about every aspect as you try and get different drivers and software working - then your in for a lot of fun for a long time. Because it will not match the TPC functionality of Windows for years to come. And it is a lot of fun because unlike Windows, you can tweak and get into everything. It is very powerful in that regard. Lots of free software to use is also very nice. I have it installed on my desktop as a dual boot with Vista. I would recommend you either dual boot or put a VM together.

I just finished my first semester in Linux, it was quite interesting from a geeky standpoint. But I won't be relying on it for my day to day stuff or as a TPC OS. My instructor was a manager of a Linux server security team. He has been using nothing but Linux since the early 90's. The guy knows more than anyone I have met about Linux. He has a TPC and can not get it to work well for inking. Yes, it works fine as a laptop, but chokes as an inker. He did recommend one distro for TPC but the name escapes me. If your really serious and want to use as a TPC, look for a distro that works with TPC, not just the most popular flavor of the day - Ubuntu.

4. johnny fresh

johnny fresh Pen Pal - Newbie

hey guys. thank you for responding.

i definitely know about how in depth you can get with linux. everything is 100% customizable, which is honestly, in spite of my laziness, a big draw. lol.

i just set up a VM last night and installed ubuntu. i haven't had much time to play with it yet, as yesterday was my roommate's birthday and there was a bit of a gathering last night. i was still installing it when people started showing up. i was called a geek a few times. haha. i actually kinda like being able to say, "it's a linux based OS" and have people respond with, "...what?"

anyway, what i have seen of it so far (basically just the security features), i like. the only thing i can't stand right now is the default gui. lol. it's bad. oh, and also, for some reason i can't switch the resolution higher than 800x600, which is kind of frustrating since it gives me a box like half the size of my screen to work in.

5. Mr_Knuckles

Mr_Knuckles Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I've been running Ubuntu on my 141-xl since I got it. I got it at release and messed around with vista and hated it. I installed Ubuntu without a hitch. There was a few things that needed tweaked, but I'm loving it.

I have 3 issues in Ubutntu. When booting the wireless isn't recognized, but after the system "warms up" do a restart, and wireless works wonderfully. No clue what causes this, and haven't had time to troubleshoot. The other issue is the Tablet buttons. They weren't recognized on install, and just haven't had time to fix them. But it is totally possible. The 3rd issue is screen rotation. I have read that rotation is impossible with an ati graphics card in linux due to poor driver support. But this could be misinformation. I've yet to fully research it.

The pen works wonderfully with customizable pressure sensitivity. It's off calibration by about 1px, but that's tolerable.

Compiz-Fusion works seamlessly.

If you really want to try ubuntu out, the best option for now is a dual boot. With virtualization you're still using microsoft drivers etc.

I'll try to post a screen shot or vid capture of my desktop. =)

You can email me at shinobi.tengu(a)gmail.com if I don't reply on here.

6. roepke44

roepke44 Pen Pal - Newbie

i am really interested in getting ubuntu to work on my c141xl. i am tired of the ram hogging in vista. the screen rotation issue seems to be the only deal breaker for me. i am in the process of learning linux and am goin to be trying a dual boot soon. so when i get to it, i will definitely be asking for help, if you don't mind.

7. Mr_Knuckles

Here are a couple shots of my Ubuntu 8.04 install:

My Custom Desktop (icons are the "paper" theme, you can find it on www.gnome-look.org):
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Karasu_Tengu/Screenshot1.png

Window and dock applet:
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Karasu_Tengu/Screenshot2.png

Compiz application switcher (couldn't get any of the others cause I can't get to the "prnt scrn" button quick enough.):
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Karasu_Tengu/Screenshot4.png

Variable pressure data relayed to Gimp Image editor:
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Karasu_Tengu/Screenshot3.png

Xournal and CellWriter:
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Karasu_Tengu/Screenshot5.png

ATI Control Center (if you plan on using an external display, or dual monitors you'll need this app. ):
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Karasu_Tengu/Screenshot6.png

8. Mr_Knuckles

9. roepke44

roepke44 Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks so much. that is really cool that the pressure sensitivity stuff works that good. compiz looks really cool. thanks for posting the pics. definitely keep up the updates. thanks so much.

10. Mr_Knuckles

Hey guys,

I just verified that the generic "radeon" driver in linux will allow screen rotation. Compiz Fuzion is disabled, and haven't tested if it is able to run. When the display is rotated to the inverted position, the stylus calibration is off. It stays on the normal position coordinates. This will probably be fixed by calibrating. I don't have time to test it now, but rotation does work. Using the method in the link I provided.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.