Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon on Lenovo X61t, anyone?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by keith11, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

schmolch, did I understand correctly that you get 14 W power consumption with Ubuntu at max brightness and Wlan on? This would be a bit less what I get under Vista and good for 5 hours of runtime (which I was never able to squeeze out of Vista yet).

2. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

pibach, almost.

Yes i get 14W with max brightness and wlan on (typing here its 13.4W) BUT i spent a'lot of time configuring things (see my previous "to-do list").

If you just install Ubuntu and expect to get these wattages out of the box you will be disappointed (i have not used the last few ubuntu releases though so i can not give you exact numbers).

3. pibach

l am not shy to go into massive tweaking as long as I know that finally it will be as good as you say. Bad power overconsumption is since years the primary reason that I do not use Linux on a laptop. Your post is encouraging me to finally do this step!

4. pibach

Ups, just realized that ubunto 7.10 was released today. http://www.ubuntu.com/
    So lets try this out and see if things got easier...

5. pibach

How do you input text in Linux with pen? I know there is CellWriter which seems to be pretty good, but cannot recognize fluent script. Any other tool that could potentially input text at >150 characters per minute? Is there some Graffiti write anywhere, for example? Or Fitaly onscreen Keyboard?
    Or is it possible to run Vista on a virtual machine in Linux and use the Vista Tip seamlessly in Linux? This would be appealing.

And is there some Gesture recognition tool such as StrokeIt?
    Both these things are pretty important to get Linux/Ubuntu productive on a tablet.

6. pibach

ok, I found these tablet programs:
    * Xournal/Gournal
    * Jarnal,
    * xstroke
    does anybody have experience with these and could comment? How do they compare to Onenote, Vista TIP, and StrokeIt?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. MikeRoz

MikeRoz Pen Pal - Newbie

I would suggest GOK (Gnome Onscreen Keyboard) for text input in tablet mode.

More details here.

Linux has come a long way, and I've actually just moved my desktop to 64-bit Gentoo. It'll take a lot to get my copy of Vista off of my tablet though.

8. PrimitiveWall

PrimitiveWall Pen Pal - Newbie

IMHO, Gutsy Gibbon, while undeniably an improvement over previous Ubuntu releases, is still subpar on a tablet, especially the X61. Had I been able to get One Note working via Crossover Office, it might have been worth the trouble. However, the lack of a decent One Note competitor, along with the fact that, no, everything does not "just work", means I'll be waiting at least for Horny Heron or whatever.

9. keith11

keith11 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think it's Hardy Heron. :) I agree there is much work yet to be done, even in the normal desktop arena. Does anyone here think installing Linux can fix the fan at a constant speed?

Keith.

10. pibach

I haven't tried it yet but Jarnal seems to be a mighty competitor and from reading the overview on the website it seems to be even better than OneNote (open format+collaboration). Anybody is using Jarnal and could comment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.