Ubuntu for a Dell Latitude XT: netbook or desktop install?

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by gohanssjn, Sep 22, 2010.

1. gohanssjn

gohanssjn Scribbler - Standard Member

First off, I know this tablet is not a netbook. However, it is slow (a Core 2 Duo ULV 1.33), and with touch I was thinking a netbook layout would be beneficial.

Opinions?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wait for the next release of Ubuntu (10.10) it is going to have an entirely new touch UI built from the kernel up so it should be decent. Ubuntu should run very well on your computer. It will be released in early October (it will probably be easier to select the option to torrent the disc, it tends to be faster and more reliable; it is legal as Ubuntu is offering it from their site, once it is released that is)

We'll see how good of a job they did, but they re-wrote and changed many things (navigation, scrolling, multi-touch, the whole shebang) I too am waiting on its release for a while now, each installment has been a little better for my Tm2, this seems promising. :)

You should be able to simply shrink your partition and (assuming you know how to correctly do so) set up a dual boot. I can make a simple tutorial if you'd like... when the new Ubuntu comes out I plan on wiping my drive and starting a new triple boot anyways so I could video tape it if you'd be interested.

Linux is definitely worth trying, I've converted many avid windows users (partly due to WINE which is a program that lets you run many windows programs in Linux pretty well)

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I remember making a tutorial for that sometime last year. I was one of the main advocates for a "Linux on a Tablet PC" section of the site :)

For this moment, I think the netbook interface suits tablets very well. Larger buttons, better use of screen real-estate, and has a more functional layout.

4. Agent 9

I think even the netbook version is getting the new touch UI as well so it will probably be worth trying... but we'll see how things pan out in a few weeks

you should try the netbook one than if you want you can try the "full" version. it'd be easy enough to make a dual boot or triple boot (netbook, and "full" linux, and your already installed Windows 7) so you can see what you like more.

5. Kyle Porter

The netbook remix and Ubuntu "full" are the same thing. You can change the window manager in UNR and it will change back to the default gnome desktop. They don't handle resources any differently, or can run less things.

6. Agent 9

I thought that the netbook release was like that at first but has been changing steadily with each new release. Like better supporting netbook hardware (small screens, wi-fi, trackpads ect...) and "optimizing" the graphics to run on low powered chip-sets, as well as lower resources needed for some things. meaning those features are not built into the GUI...

I'm probably wrong though... I've never used the netbook distribution before. I'll have to give it a whirl when 10.10 comes out.

7. Kyle Porter

Optimizing for small screens - GUI related
    Hardware support - Drivers, but those would be grabbed through update manager
    Optimizing graphics - a fancy way of saying using less flashy items, and more efficient code in the window manager
    Lower resources - if the gui uses less resources, the system needs less to run programs :p

8. gohanssjn

I tried the 10.10 beta, seems alright. A few hitches on the XT. Guess I can wait 12 more days for the final release.

9. gohanssjn

So, once 10.10 hits, will I need any specific packages for this new interface? Or should I get a specific release (x86 or x64)?

10. Agent 9

Download the 32-bit Ubuntu 10.10 (64 bit causes some trouble sometimes). You
    can get either the desktop edition or the netbook edition it is up to your taste
    in which you want... the netbook edition is more of a iPad/ Android interface,
    while the desktop edition is more like a regular desktop OS. that said they both
    do the same things, run the same programs ect... Ithink you can turn a desktop
    edition into a netbook edition with installing a few things, not sure though.

Desktop
    [​IMG]

Netbook
    [​IMG]

get desktop from here Desktop | Ubuntu
    get netbook from here Netbook | Ubuntu

If you would rather torrent the disc (it can usually be faster than a straight up
    download from their site) then choose "Download" at the version you want... then
    chose "Alternative downloads >" under the section titled "1", and choose the exact
    version you want (you may have to wait for some options to appear)

EDIT: I've found some of the stuff in "Universal Access" in the Ubuntu Software Center,
    multitouch is supported right out of the box, and is pretty good... will keep you updated

EDIT: Moovidia Media Center is still great, it is under "Sounds and Video". very nice, and smooth.