Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit Installation and setup guide

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by Bams, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

This is a updated version of my guide which was for ubuntu 8.10. Also something to note, keep a eye out on Crossover's website. Every once in a while they have a free download day, and crossover pro is a piece of software I believe is a must have for Linux.

THREE HUGE THINGS I HAVE TO SAY BEFORE YOU START

- Installing linux takes time! If something is taking a while, just leave it and let it work itself out. DON'T BE IMPATIENT.
    - This method is for WACOM ONLY. At the moment, there is no Ntrig support.
    - Wacom tablets are enabled by DEFAULT! This means no messing around with xorg.conf files!

Install Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit AMD 64

If you haven't already, download Ubuntu 64 9.04 off of the ubuntu website (64 bit).

1. Boot from the dvd.
    2. Select Install Ubuntu.
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions.
    4. When it gets to the partition screen, remember that the GRUB bootloader is installed by default, so it is easy to dual boot.
    5. Fill in contact information.
    6. Reboot when told to do so.

Locations

You will be working out of the terminal a lot in this tutorial. This is a linux version of the command prompt.

Code:
    Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
    Update Packages

Code:
    System-> Administration -> Software sources
    As soon as it opens, click close in the bottom right hand corner. It will then ask to update the Software packages, and click yes. If you don't do this, it cant render the terminal useless (nothing to reference to).

Update Software

Code:
    Go System -> Administration -> Update Manager
    You will be shown what updates are available. Download all the ones you can, as the system runs smoother with them.

32 bit libraries

*NOTE* This is not needed in all cases, just here for reference purposes.
    Download "getlibs" (LINK). To install getlibs all you have to do is double click the file, and it should run a installer. Follow the on screen instructions from there. Now in the terminal write the following.

Code:
    getlibs -distro
    This will find the appropriate Libraries for your distribution. You need to download the 32 bit libraries so you can install 32 bit programs (wine/ crossover are two of them).

Wacom Tools

In the terminal, type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wacom-tools
    Then follow the on screen instructions. This will allow you to calibrate your tablet.

Programs

Now that everything is working correctly, it is time to fix some of the programs. Download either wine or crossover, so we can use windows programs (wine is free, crossover isn't). Only Crossover allows for the installation of Office 2007 (that I know of). For the record, inking features in Office 2007 do NOT work under crossover. You are forced to install it using a XP bottle, not XP Tablet Edition or Vista. There may be a patch for it in the near future though.

To download wine, type the following (In the terminal).

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    Now for some Linux-based alternatives. Enter the terminal and type the following.
    Code:

sudo apt-get install <name of program you want to install>
    Two good programs to use are xournal and cellwriter. When i successfully get ship working, i will repost here (Linux version of TIP).

Screen Rotation

I can confirm now that screen rotation works. It is bitter-sweet though, as it only works by going into:
    Code:

Preferences -> Screen Resolution
    Calibration

At the terminal type:

Code:
    wacomcpl
    This will bring you up to a menu that will allow calibration and other tablet pc related items.

Right Click By Holding

To enable this go to:
    Code:
    System -> preferences -> Mouse -> Accessibility Tab -> Click "Trigger Secondary Click By Holding Down Primary Mouse Button"

You now have a working install of Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit! Any edits that are needed are welcomed if pointed out.

2. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got tablet rotation working. I used the instructions from here: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Insta...et#Rotate_screen_when_turning_into_slate_mode
    to create scripts to rotate into primary landscape (laptop mode) and primary tablet modes. I never use the other two.

Instead of initiating the rotation by rotating the screen, (outlined under thinkpad-rotate-laptop on that page) I wanted rotation only when I use the tablet rotate button. Following the directions here: http://so.nacreo.us/2007/12/touch-me-i-sick.html I set up a 'rotate' script. It looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
    orientation=`xrandr --verbose | grep LVDS | awk '{print $5}'`
    if [ $orientation = 'normal' ]
    then /etc/acpi/rotatescreenandstylus-slate.sh
    elif [ $orientation = 'right' ]
    then /etc/acpi/rotatescreenandstylus-laptop.sh
    fi

Note that this differs from what's in that post since xrandr didn't seem to work well with the stylus for me. Then I went to System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts and set up a shortcut to run 'rotate' when I hit the tablet rotate button. Just highlight the command once you've added it and hit the button. 0xc7 should just pop up.

That's it. It works fine with Compiz running and everything.

3. Kyle Porter

Interesting Craigt. I am going to be reinstalling ubuntu today and might be forced to give that a look.

4. milstein

milstein Scribbler - Standard Member

The wacomcpl did not show any device for my X61 tablet, so I cannot recalibrate after screen rotation - rendering it usable in tablet mode.

I'm not sure what's wrong in the installation of wacom-tools.

5. Kyle Porter

That seems to be a common problem with Ubuntu 9.04, Linux Mint 7, and Fedora 11. With the drivers already configured, it broke the wacomcpl script so were are unfortunately out of luck in the meantime.

6. Bams

Bams Bunnie's Baby

Ok so I have 9.04 installed on my tx2510 and it wasn't quite as simple as listed here. I had to alter the alsa-base file to get sound and I do not have working Wacom functionality oob. Is there a way I can enable the tablet? I noticed during boot that it loads or attempts to load something to do with the wacom setup but the touchscreen doesn't work and there's no device listed in wacomcpl as mentioned above.

Also fglrx breaks my video so I am stuck using the open source drivers which sadly lack any 3d support so I'll have to keep my dual boot going with Tablet PC to game.

As with Tablet PC the battery life seems abysmal, is there any fix for that?

thanks in advance - Bams XX

7. Kyle Porter

Take a look at farmercyst's post here to get wacom and rotation working. As for battery life, no there really isn't but keep in mind the figures in Linux are estimations on the high end, so they seem to yield more real-time estimates.

As for gaming, I hate to break this to you but that's a laughable claim under Linux. There are very few games that would require a higher end GPU, and even at that Linux isn't really meant for gaming.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Bams

Bams Bunnie's Baby

Ok I'll check out the post for my touchscreen. figures aside, I used to be able to keep my 2510 off the AC for almost 2 hours and now it's only an hour. It's no better with XP Tablet Edition so I am wondering if there's not something I have forgotten to install or enable?

Yes that's true. I only play SecondLife and WoW. SecondLife has a Linux client which runs excellent under Backtrack 4 (which is built on Ubuntu 8.1) and has working fglrx drivers. WoW runs excellent in Wine under the same conditions, so I'm just waiting patiently for the updated fglrx stuff that works with 9.04 as far as I know.

At this point my plan is to keep my dual-boot config because I use Native Instruments Traktor to mix my live sets and it will not run under Linux. I have yet to locate a suitable replacement for it that let's me connect my mixer and tables as Traktor does.

Other than that Ubuntu runs pretty nicely. I'm almost to a point that I can ditch MS software entirely. WOOT

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015