Ubuntu 8.10 64 Install and setup guide.

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by Kyle Porter, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Hello Everyone! I felt like christening off the new Linux forum with a well detailed guide. I have made this guide easy to follow so even brand new linux users can use it. Enjoy!

TWO HUGE THINGS I HAVE TO SAY BEFORE YOU START

- Installing linux takes time! If something is taking a while, just leave it and let it work itself out. DON'T BE IMPATIENT.
    - This method is for WACOM ONLY. I do not know of a method for Ntrig yet.

Install Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit AMD 64
    If you haven't already, download Ubuntu 64 8.10 off of the ubuntu website (64 bit).

1. Boot from the dvd.
    2. Select Install Ubuntu.
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions.
    4. When it gets to the partition screen, remember that the GRUB bootloader is installed by default, so it is easy to dual boot.
    5. Fill in contact information.
    6. Reboot when told to do so.

Locations

You will be working out of the terminal a lot in this tutorial. This is a linux version of the command prompt.
    Code:
    Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
    Update Packages
    Code:
    System-> Administration -> Software sources
    As soon as it opens, click close in the bottom right hand corner. It will then ask to update the Software packages, and click yes. If you don't do this, it cant render the terminal useless (nothing to reference to).

Update Software
    Code:
    Go System -> Administration -> Update Manager
    You will be shown what updates are available. Download all the ones you can, as the system runs smoother with them.

32 bit libraries
    Download "getlibs" (LINK). To install getlibs all you have to do is double click the file, and it should run a installer. Follow the on screen instructions from there. Now in the terminal write the following.
    Code:
    getlibs -distro
    This will find the appropriate Libraries for your distribution. You need to download the 32 bit libraries so you can install 32 bit programs (wine/ crossover are two of them).

Xorg.conf

This is a "do-it-yourself" wacom driver. There is NO OTHER WAY of doing this.
    1. In the terminal type
    Code:
    sudo gedit etc/x11/xorg.conf
    2. Replace everything in there (if there is anything) with the appropritae xorg.conf file found here.
    3. Go file -> save as, and trace it back to etc/x11/xorg.conf. For some reason, the normal save button doesn't work when editing the xorg.conf file.
    4. Reboot or log out and log back in. You should have gained pen support.

Wacom Tools
    In the terminal, type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wacom-tools
    Then follow the on screen instructions. This will allow you to calibrate your tablet.

Programs
    Now that everything is working correctly, it is time to fix some of the programs. Download either wine or crossover, so we can use windows programs (wine is free, crossover isn't). Using either of those programs, you can install Office 2007 (onenote!!!!!).

To download wine, type the following (In the terminal).
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    Now for some Linux-based alternatives. Enter the terminal and type the following.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install <name of program you want to install>
    Two good programs to use are xournal and cellwriter. When i successfully get ship working, i will repost here (Linux version of TIP).

Screen Rotation
    I can confirm now that screen rotation works. It is bitter-sweet though, as it only works by going into:
    Code:
    Preferences -> Screen Resolution
    Calibration
    At the terminal type:
    Code:
    wacomcpl
    This will bring you up to a menu that will allow calibration and other tablet pc related items.

Right Click By Holding
    To enable this go to:
    Code:
    System -> preferences -> Mouse -> Accessibility Tab -> Click "Trigger Secondary Click By Holding Down Primary Mouse Button"
    You now have a working install of Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit! Any edits that are needed are welcomed if pointed out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

I am COMPLETELY new to Linux/Ubuntu, is there a way to define:

"terminal"?

"SERIAL ONLY"? (Serial of the part?)

And will the touchscreen/Wacom work on Ubuntu?

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@kpvic
    Don't you also need the Wacom drivers? (or do you install them with the "sudo apt-get install wacom-tools" command)
    Do you have pressure sensitivity, pen buttons support, does the tablet support rotation?
    Maybe you could add how to configure the tablet, calibrate, change pressure curve, click force, define pen buttons, and put the xorg.conf file in a quote to format it better.

4. Kyle Porter

True, the xorg.conf file needs to be formatted better. The xorg.conf file IS essentially a wacom driver you compile yourself. The problem with linux is the developers focus on mainstream computers in a effort to help everyone.

Tablet Pc's =/= mainstream.

As for the other questions, i will repost when i get a free sec.

@ 970261.

1. Applications -> accessories -> terminal. Basically a linux version of the command prompt.
    2. Don't need to worry about this. That is in the xorg.conf file, which is made to make your life easier.
    3. Yes. The xorg.conf file is basically a "do-it-yourself" wacom driver.

EDIT: reformatted the xorg.conf file bit to include the xorg.conf file quoted, and at the top a red part that states that it is a "do-it-yourself" wacom driver.

EDIT 2: added the warning line saying that this method is for wacom only.

5. Kyle Porter

I can not confirm any of these yet. Linux is virtually unsupported in the tablet world, so any bugs will have to be fixed in this thread that are found.

Update: i have recieved conformations that this has worked on a variety of tablets (Xorg). Removing the warning on the xorg.conf file.

6. 970261

tried the above methods, Wacom/Touch are not responding, will try again though...

Edit:

My computer doesn't save the xorg.conf file properly.

I do "Save as..." and manually locate it and overwrite but, but it DOES NOT save.

any suggestions or help?

FYI i save it in:

file system/etc/X11/xorg.conf

and rebooted it.

7. Kyle Porter

So you got through the entire thread and edited the xorg.conf file correct? I have about 4 of my buddies do this entire tutorial without problems.

Tx2000
    Tx2500
    Compaq 2710p
    Tc1100
    Fujitsu t2010

EDIT: have you rebooted? This is a necessary step because it has to restart some services.
    EDIT 2: I can confirm now that screen rotation works. It is bitersweet though, as it only works by going into Preferences -> Screen Resolution.

8. 970261

ok, found that xorg.conf DOES save properly, rebooted....still no wacom OR touch

9. Kyle Porter

that is odd. You use a tx2000 correct? I will search out your issue. Obviously it is the xorg.conf file.

BTW, been taking with another mod and this thread along with the Linux Software thread has been stickied for new users.

Edit: This software is supposed to help you ( http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/ ). It supports tx2000's natively. Only issue is i don't know how to install/ compile tar.gz files otherwise i would have SHIP installed as well.

10. 970261

i'm using a tx2510us, and the link points me to a 404.

I'll try this thread from scratch