Ubuntu 16.04 on HP Envy 8 Note

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by sitongia, Nov 1, 2016.

1. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

I've managed to install the desktop release on this tablet, but there's a lot that doesn't work. Some are known problems, such as the wifi and touch. Someone has a patched installation ISO for those, but I can't get that to install. I can connect Bluetooth to it, so can use a keyboard and mouse. I can rotate the screen through the display settings. I'll send more information as I get more to function.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Please, post anything you find out, and maybe link to sources?

I'm running Asus VT-8's but would love to get Linux working on at least one of them. Haven't worked up the courage, I'm not all that savvy. Also, if there is an overriding current in what I've read about Linux on Baytrail it is that nobody has really gotten it working completely. I hope that changes.

3. sitongia

I've successfully installed the stock Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS. Basically it works as a little computer, with external USB keyboard and mouse attached. Bluetooth doesn't work. Touch screen does not work, but I'm not so worried about that right now. I might just use it as a portable little desktop computer, if I can get bluetooth working.

One good source for installers for Bay and Cherry trail tablets is the following:
    https://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/...howComment=1478490571669#c7938884796959972237

4. sitongia

Just a quick update that a bunch of updates came in tonight for Ubuntu 16.04, and that seems to have fixed bluetooth. So, wifi and bluetooth work. Sound does not. SD card does not work. The window system works, of course. Graphically, it looks pretty nice. Performance is okay.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm digesting your linked content now. Thank you!

At this point, what features of your HP are not working? Sounds like sound and the touchscreen, but how about the internal drive? Digitizer?

6. sitongia

With Ubuntu 16.04, not working are touch screen, digitizer, sound, SD card reader. It runs off the internal disk, so that's fine. Today, I'm trying to install 16.10, which should fix sound and SD card. I haven't started to look into digitizer and pen, but I read somewhere that someone got it to work. This HP E8N uses Wacom, which Linux supports in the form of external graphics tablets, so I have a little bit of enthusiasm for it eventually working. Also, I have tried suspend/resume yet.

7. sitongia

I mean, I have NOT tried suspend/resume.

8. Kerper

Kerper Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi did 16.10 work out for you?

9. sitongia

Sorry, not, not really. Couldn't get Bluetooth and wifi working.

10. mister.pidgin

mister.pidgin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.

According to the documents on HP site, the wireless module is Intel AC 7265 - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04850237 (page 7)
    Did you try to install linux-firmware package?

Also what have you got working currently?