Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Slate 500 (Gen 1)

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by CruciasNZ, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

So I popped in the 32bit LiveUSB and too my surprise it ran first time (11.10 the graphics drivers were not on the liveCD) so I promptly navigated past the annoying half screen bug to hit "Try Ubuntu", which to my joy fixed the screen.

You'll have to fiddle with OnBoard (the keyboard) to make it appear automatically when you touch into a text field and use the pen to enlarge it.

What Works Out The Box?
    • Touch - Single Point
    • Pen - inc Pen button (for right click)
    • Graphics
    • Sound
    • Wi-Fi - after activating propriety drivers
    • Bluetooth

It's installing right now, so when it's done I'll report back on more tweaking. I'm installing Tri-Boot with Windows 8 and Android x86 ICS

UPDATE 1: Alright so Windows and Ubuntu work fine from Grub, Android forgot to come to the party

UPDATE 2: So the screen gets the Black Screen of Death after installation and reboot (and booting Ubuntu). Working on the fix

Cont-Alt-F1 will give you a login menu, enter username then password to access Terminal then type "sudo service lightdm restart" to load the screen up.

Not yet found a way to prevent this being required

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

What Works Out The Box?
    • Touch - Single Point
    • Pen - inc Pen button (for right click)
    • Graphics
    • Sound
    • Wi-Fi - after activating propriety drivers
    • Bluetooth

I run 11.04 on my Slate 500. Sound worked out of the box with speakers, but have you tried with headphones yet? ALSA and PulseAudio do funny things with our chip in their latest versions, and I couldn't get headphones to work properly for the longest time. Did finally find a tweak to one of the config files that gets them working the way you'd expect: if you need it, I can look it up.

When you say graphics are working, I assume that means the EMGD drivers are installed by default? The Linux EMGD drivers are probably the best GMA 500 drivers out there...I hope someone can hack together a version for Windows 8 that supports downscaled/stretched 1024x768 (for Metro).

Have you been able to do anything meaningful with Android X86? I had a custom-compiled build of Gingerbread running on mine a long while back, but without meaningful GMA 500 support, nothing ran. Is that still what you find?

3. CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Android
    I'm running the Slate 500 build for Android but not much runs, not much is compiled for x86 processors so they wont install. Then the lack of sound and hardware accel means videos and stuff doesn't work.

Ubuntu
    As for Ubuntu, no the PSB_PSX drivers are default, I have yet to try EMGD because less features are working for them. I am waiting on some advice on another forum, if that doesn't come I'll swap to EMGD.

Now the actual UI of Ubuntu lends itself quite well to the slate, however after Windows 8's keyboard I have trouble with Ubuntu's one - I have been spoiled ;). With that said, the Unity menu is really nice for the Slate, and Multi-touch can be fixed according to ubuntuforums.org but it's a bit of work. So since this is a side project, it might take me sometime to do it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.