Ubuntu 10.10 to get a "full" multi-touch UI

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by Agent 9, Aug 22, 2010.

?

How do you feel about Linux getting a multi-touch User Interface

1. I'm really excited, it's about time too

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. I'm looking foreward to see what it can do

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. I don't care

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. I'm interested, but Linux is a little over my head

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I'd really like to see this Ubuntu/WINE thing work out. Please keep us updated.

Unfortunately the spammers are able to post more freely than us. I wish I could delete all the garbage they've been dumping on this forum.

2. zorrobyte

zorrobyte Pen Pal - Newbie

It would be very interesting to see if this feature makes it to release.

Office, PDF Revu, etc issues? Virtualbox + Seamless mode... You may not find anything better for running windoze programs then windoze itself.

It would be the sauce of VmWare ThinApp allowed you to package Windoze programs for linux...

But back on topic. If Ubuntu can pull this off I may be a very happy *nix user

3. gohanssjn

gohanssjn Scribbler - Standard Member

Waiting for "does not fully work with n-trig" disclaimer.

4. r3fr4cti0n

r3fr4cti0n Pen Pal - Newbie

Any word on if Onenote ink is capable of running on wine in ubuntu half decent yet? I loved everything about ubuntu, however onenote carrys my life, win7 works best for my ink and its fun with win7

5. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I just tried to install Office 2010 under wine on my tc1100 running 10.10. It won't even install, so no OneNote. Inking in Evernote under wine is not bad, so if you can get OneNote going, there's a chance it might be not bad too.

6. sama98b

sama98b Pen Pal - Newbie

You can add the unity multitouch feature in to gnome ... but almost 0% usage for it.
    Pinch zoom/rotate :p

Unity kills too many old feature that gnome has.
    Most of the touch thing that unity shows up in videos work same with the single touch mode too :p

"Waiting for "does not fully work with n-trig" disclaimer." well it changes from kernel version to version atm ..
    Could test and 4 finger detection works ...

7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is your keyboard broken?

Anyway...

Will it offer better battery life? For a tablet, that's the most important thing. Sure, it may offer improved security but other than that, I personally see no reason to change (I don't run as admin anyway etc).

8. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

no, its just typical banter from a linux user (not liking M$ = make fun of M$)

sort of depends... if you are running a OEM install of windows that is poorly optimized, then yes, a install of Linux is likely to yield better battery life/ heat [assuming the hardware is well supported -the Tm2 being one that sucks to use with linux as the ATI card is neither usable, nor off]... If you have a well optimized windows install, then you will probably see similar, if not worse, battery life/ heat, though it should idle colder under Linux, and use less resources

...but Linux doesn't have the awesome T.I.P. or plethora of well polished programs to use with a Tablet PC -OneNote, Photoshop and other drawing programs, synthesizer/ sound mixer, ect... the Linux alternatives aren't that great, and have a rather small number of people who want them to be further developed

Which is why Windows 7 is my primary OS, most of the time, but I still use Linux from time to time -usually Ubuntu, but this summer I want to get around to trying a few other distros on my 2730p, namely Linux Mint, Fedora, and Vector Linux [this one is pretty small, and I think it should yield even better battery life]).

9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good stuff to know. I usually tweak the living behind off of my windows machines so Ubuntu probably won't offer much of an improvement. :( Only two weeks ago did I install the latest build that had some fancy stuff, only to find it disabled as the 'required hardware was not found' or something like that.

If MS were to disappear tomorrow, I'd dive straight into Ubuntu on all my machines (That or cry as I go osx. NnnNnNoooooo)

P.s. I was being sarcastic with the windoze thing :) (Sorry)

10. seaturn

seaturn Scribbler - Standard Member

Linux supports 4 points of calibrtion, but I found it is useless. The calibration
    suggest only Xmin,Xmax,ymin,Ymax parameters.
    xsetwacom command will let you change calibration on the fly. I have differen
    area parameters for portrait and landscape them and inserted as a pre-script of rotation program. It let me to get accatable calibration for x220t, better than
    in windows. I have a look at wacom driver. There is no any reason to collect 16 points. There is no any parameter in driver what correct a distorsion. Probably,
    it is made in firmware.

Iunux has OSK on login, moreover I fingerprint login works fine. What does not coded in Linux (x220t). Rotation button (screen button) and position sensor(autopositioning tablet in slate mode)