Ubuntu 10.10 to get a "full" multi-touch UI

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by Agent 9, Aug 22, 2010.

?

How do you feel about Linux getting a multi-touch User Interface

1. I'm really excited, it's about time too

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. I'm looking foreward to see what it can do

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. I don't care

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. I'm interested, but Linux is a little over my head

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm making this poll to see what everyone else is thinking, and to spread the word. If all pans out then we will probably be seeing a dramatic increase (hopefully) in Linux users on tablets. I think because the full functionality of the hardware will be accessible from the moment of install, no fiddling around, the security, and ease of access, Linux will become a more easily acceptable OS for tablet users.

I read that the UI has been built from the bottom up, so it integrates very well, there are reportedly also many programs being re-worked to support the UI, like Firefox. Another juicy bit of info is that it will support "strings" of touch commands, for example: a right flick, then a pinch motion would be set to open up a music player (which will be re-worked so you can scroll through your music easily) that is something that windows does not have, and will make certain tasks that much easier.

2. singisumina

singisumina Pen Pal - Newbie

This sounds absolutely fantastic, but I will be primarily relying on OneNote 2010 for my classes, so I probably won't be able to make the switch to Ubuntu since only OpenOffice is supported on it :(

3. Agent 9

When the new UI is out we will see to what extent Onenote works with WINE (it is a program that lets you run many, many, many windows programs quite well) WINE is a easy install from the software center, and it is quite light on use of resources.

In other words you will be able to use Onenote, the question is to what extent.

4. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Wine does not work with Microsoft Office well. In some cases it won't emulate every feature, and inking is a big one. Crossover will allow you to install Office 2007, but I have not heard of 2010 yet. With 2007 it was missing ink support, and 2010 will most likely as well.

5. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wine not supporting the Ink library is definitely one thing holding back Linux use on Tablet PCs for me. Office depends on said Ink library for Tablet PC features.

Other things include linux-wacom only supporting two calibration points compared to the usual four (or 16 in Win7's case) and current versions of Ubuntu being a pain to set up for tablet use (such as having an OSK in the login screen). Hopefully, these multi-touch optimizations will help tons with single-touch use. (My E-295C, like the TC1100 I had before it, is Wacom pen-only, which I don't really mind since that's the most important aspect of a Tablet PC to me.)

6. Agent 9

I didn't know WINE didn't support Onenote inking, maybe we should start a petition (or a poll, or something) to get it to be a priority for the WINE dev teams, you know show there is actually demand for it and then they'll get to it faster. I know because that's what they do with popular games, if there is demand they will try to supply.

by the way does anyone know how much work it would be, because I have no idea how Onenote inking system is set up (does it depend on the windows 7/ vista operating system "core", or is it more stand alone-ish). even if its hard to do, we should still try and see what they will do.

7. singisumina

singisumina Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm...be sure to let me know once you try it out :)
    Inking on ON is definitely a priority for me, so if you're going to start a poll, send me a link!

I know that handwriting recognition/inking is far superior/natural in Win 7 compared to other Windows platforms, so I think it's somehow built-in. (Especially since they fused some XP 2005 Powertoys and made it permanent in Win 7)... not sure how that'd integrate into OneNote, but I bet it's the same. (This is purely based off the fact that pressure sensitivity is automatic in ON and not in Photoshop, etc.) I'm not an expert so feel free to correct me!

8. GraysonPeddie

GraysonPeddie Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting and I think it's about time they will do so in Ubuntu 10.10. However, I will primarily use Windows 7 and I'm hoping that Oracle and VMWare can get to work on supporting multi-touch that enables guest operating systems to respond to it.

But then I'll probably get a tablet that supports a resolution of 1366x768 in a 10" screen, but I don't think this will happen next year.

9. GraysonPeddie

GraysonPeddie Pen Pal - Newbie

Um... What does this have anything to do with Ubuntu 10.10? You can't install an x86 version of Ubuntu 10.10 in an Android tablet that has an ARM processor.

10. Agent 9

lol - I think he is trying to sell us linux users a knockoff iPad?

sense make he not *in Yoda voice*

I'll make a petition soon (unless someone already has), but I'll need everyone to spread the link (once created, if it isn't already) to other sites, as many people as you can. and someone will have to contact the WINE dev team.

What should the petition say? I've never done this before. If someone has experience with this and would like to take over you are welcome to, just post it here.