Typewriter Keyboard

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Steve S, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If that isn't the optimal hipster product I don't know what is.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I will admit that kind of looks cool, but I get the the feeling typing on it is going to be fairly quiet.

4. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Like the look (but not the price), although the spacebar looks a bit out-of-place--perhaps it's just the angle.

5. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks cool. FWIW, even though I am way too old to be considered a "hipster" ;-), I purchased a converted typewriter similar to the image below (cosmetically different model) just for nostalgic fun, but the product highlighted above looks more practical and "affordable."

[​IMG]

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  6. HdNote8

HdNote8 creative technical writing

that is a thing of beauty ... loving old typewriters i was occasionally tempted by the conversion kits, although i believe you had to solder to every key !

if this were usb i might be tempted, i find the lag of bluetooth frustrating when im working ... currently use a folding sony usb keyboard/integrated trackpoint (as per classic thinkpads ) gives the best input ive found

7. Randall Garrett

FWIW, my conversion is USB, not wireless. As a result from reading this thread, however, I have pre-ordered a QwerkyWriter which I will be a Christmas gift to my son who works for a software company and who used to think of himself as a sort of "hipster" back in his "Smashing Pumpkins days." I figure he'll want to use it with his SP4 when he takes delivery ;-)

If you like old typewriters, you may enjoy this Etsy.tv video on the guy who does these and which highlights the love and respect he has for the craftsmanship, etc. I also loved how he says that in his own way he is trying to help reclaim the term "hacker" so it will reflect the true & honorable meaning (vs. "cracker" which is what "the media" portrays.) Pretty cool that he (Jack) made his contributions available to others via open sourcing it... It was this video that encouraged me to purchase my USB Typewriter - as much for the looks as the desire to support the guy. I hope others will, too!

Enjoy this short (under 3 min), but artistically done piece:

Handmade Portraits: USB Typewriter

Link to their site, in case you like perusing their available models or want to get the DIY kit. http://www.usbtypewriter.com/

This is the model I purchased - I really love the look of it.
    http://www.usbtypewriter.com/collec...-computer-keyboard-ipad-stand-gold-leaf-model

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  8. HdNote8

id be tempted to buy one, but ive never preordered anything before (go easy on me) ... can this be trusted to actually happen ?

9. HdNote8

i suppose im remembering back to the jorno, if anyone recalls those best laid plans ...

10. Randall Garrett

I should have followed up on this LAST month... FWIW, I received the QwerkyWriter that I ordered for my "hipster" son last month (before Christmas.) The unit was nicely made and my son absolutely LOVED it. I showed it around to the guys at my main office (I own a software development company, so we have a "few" nerd/geek types, LOL) and they thought it was cool, too. So, while the USB Typewriter is a thing of beauty, the QwertyWriter is pretty cool in its own right.

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/