Type of LCD display?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RonaldReagan, Aug 21, 2008.

1. MarkP

MarkP Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone I am looking at ordering a Latitude XT over the next few days and I have a few questions concerning the display options. Dell offers both an LED LCD and a DLV LCD. I haven’t been able to find out any information on these other then the DLV is considered and outdoor display as it is brighter. I would like to know if either of these displays are of higher viewing quality also does the DLV display perform as well as the LED indoors. Any other comments or suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mark

2. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

The LED screen is better, the DLV is not as good as the LED indoors, but its better outdoors, whereas the LED is pretty good indoors and outdoors. Overall, I would take the LED.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Have you seen the DLV and LED screens in real life? Its pretty clear that the LED is slightly better indoors. Or at least going by the test models they had at the Dell Store

5. MarkP

MarkP Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your valued opinions, I'm going with the LED as it suits my usage better.

Mark

6. Vlad92

Vlad92 Pen Pal - Newbie

For the record I returned my refurbished DLV XT mostly because I felt the DLV was too thick and added unnecessary weight to the machine. Just today I ordered a LED XT (refurbished of course) and have high hopes I will like it better. It shipped today so I don't have it yet...

Vlad

7. MarkP

MarkP Pen Pal - Newbie

Just to update everyone.........

I just placed an order for a refurbished Latitude XT build details are:

-Latitude XT Tablet: Intel Core 2 Duo ULV U7600 1.20GHz
    -LED LCD
    -1 GB RAM
    -120 GB 5200 rpm drive
    - 24X CD RW/DVD Combo Drive
    -Wireless N card
    -Bluetooth
    -Windows Vista Ultimate
    -3 year next day onsite service
    I used the 20% coupon and it totaled out to $978.20 before tax and shipping a pretty good deal if I say so myself.

I already have a 2 GB simm and will increase the ram to 3 GB total.

I’ll let you know how it is once I receive it next week.

Mark

8. willpower101

willpower101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Did anyone else actually look at these pics? The dlv looks much brighter and less washed out.

dlv on left, led on right
    [​IMG]

same again
    [​IMG]

9. RonaldReagan

RonaldReagan Pen Pal - Newbie

The above pictures are about right... I ordered one of each from the dell outlet knowing that I could send one back within 21 days.... I ended up keeping the DLV model. It is a lot brighter but also adds about a 1/4 lbs and 1/4 inch in thicknes. Considering that its a 3.5 lbs 1" pc the additional size and weight are noticable. Surprisingly the two hour battery life was about the same for both models. The contrast in the screens are extemely different. The whites are a lot brighter on the DLV.

So there is a trade off slightly heavier and thicker but a much more easy to view vivid display.

As for the GBM review, something tells me that he didn't have the settings adusted properly or he had a defective DLV screen because under the same condition with the two I had I got different results.