Tying up some loose ends (M4 questions)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Rutten, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rutten

Rutten Pen Pal - Newbie

I am brand new to tablets, but largely due to this site and its forums, I've decided to buy a Toshiba M4. I tried out a R15 at Circuit City and enjoyed it. I've just got a few questions about the M4 before I place my order, and I figured you could help me out.

I plan on using it mostly for sketching and graphic design, and I've seen Wacom's Pennable technology always recommended to artists. This is why I decided against the cheaper Gateway, but I wanted to make entirely sure: the M4 supports Pennable, right?

I'm also getting a Bstrong shield. Do these affect pen sensitivity?

The M4 on Newegg (which I'm planning on getting) comes with 512 MB RAM. Looking at a M4 spec sheet, I see Kingston makes it. What I can't figure out is what RAM to order on Newegg if I want to buy another chip. Here's the product page:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16834114178

Any help on that? I'd like to order a memory upgrade when I get it.

Thanks for your help.

2. Rutten

Rutten Pen Pal - Newbie

Whoops, I probably should have posted this in the Toshiba forum. Sorry about that.

ADMIN NOTE: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi Rutten,

I will try to address your questions the best I can...

1. Yes, the M4 is certified "Penabled" Wacom Technology. See the site for the complete list: http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/oem.cfm

2. The screen overlay should not reduce sensitivity of your display. You should expect however that the texture of the overlay may differ from the surface on the screen.

3. If you want to be 100% sure your purchasing the correct memory for your M4, I suggest you go to www.crucial.com to buy it. This is the only vendor I have ever trusted for my RAM. The prices, customer service/support and warranty are as good as it gets.

Hope this helps,

Barry

4. Metaformer

Metaformer Pen Pal - Newbie

The Bstrong protector is a bit slippery compaed to the textured surface of the M4's inherent screen but I use it anyway.

5. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

pen sensitivity? no. slipery? a little. I use it because my screen would be scratched to oblivion without it. Now, you could probably resolve the slipery bit by getting felt tipped nibs from wacom though I have not been able to find any on their website and don't know if they are compatible with r15/m4 pens

6. Rutten

Rutten Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the answers. I'm having a hell of a time ordering on Newegg thanks to them screwing up the credit card charges, but hopefully I'll have my M4 within the week. But if this keeps up I'll cancel the damn thing and get a R15 at Circuit City and at least be happy that I don't have to fight with customer service calls to get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.