tx2z upgrade?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TX2 (N-trig)' started by JJeng, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uebermann

uebermann Pen Pal - Newbie

Howdy,

How possible is it to upgrade the processor in the tx2z series? After looking around, I found that Best Buy has a model for only 829.99 with 4gb of ram and Vista Ultimate, however the proc is only 2.1ghz. I was looking at maybe buying a 2.4ghz proc here in the next few months and upgrade, however is this something even possible on the unit?

Thanks in advance.

edit: NM - doesn't look like you can buy the processors separate =(

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

buy directly from HP. I don't think you can do the upgrade yourself, the cpu is likely to not be socketed.

3. uebermann

uebermann Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, the same configuration directly from HP is a couple hundred dollars more. We'll probably be ok with a 2.1 proc as the user's most intensive app will be Access 2007.

Is there a reason to buy from HP directly as opposed to in a store like Best Buy? We were going to get an extended warranty from them anyways and looking to have something within the next few days but if there is a better reason to get it from HP and pay a little more, we can certainly do so.

The unit we were looking at was 829.99 from BB with Vista Ultimate as opposed to the same unit (except 2.2 ghz proc) through HP costing 1049.99. The only immediate benefit I am seeing on their site is that I can get a bluetooth adapter built in.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

no real difference, i just mentioned it b/c you wanted a different processor.

5. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

You can upgrade but the 2.1GHz should do fine for most things. The 2.4Ghz for every practical application wont be any faster. BTW upgrading is not easy you will have to dismatle the whole tablet to access the cpu. As far as buying from BB, it should be fine but I would suggest buying the extended warranty from HP instead.

Buying from HP provides you with a 21 day no questions return policy while BB doesnt. Of course you can configure it the way you want from HP. Other than that you will be getting the same laptop where ever you buy.

6. JJeng

JJeng Pen Pal - Newbie

The link to the tx2z service manual says the processor is removable.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01655860.pdf
    page 66-67

The problem is the cost effectiveness of replacing it, currently if you want to purchase a something like a zm-86, it'll cost ~$320. That and replacing the cpu will probably void the warranty.