tx2z screen speckling normal?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TX2 (N-trig)' started by technocrateus, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the better one haver a glossy or anti-glare screen?

2. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

interesting, so there's an anti-glare version? Anyone can take a photo, like from an angle, and post it here? Thanks!!

3. rjoudrey

I must retract my statement above about as good as it gets. I went to Office Depot today and brought my tx2-1020us. Stood my anti-glare screen side by side with the one on display which has a glossy screen. The difference was like day & night. The glossy screen was much sharper in a subtle way not just higher contrast. It was brighter and had no speckling what so ever. I called HP and have a new one coming and I said clearly, I want the glossy screen and one with a good latch. It will be here on Tuesday and I will let you know what I get.

4. rjoudrey

If you are going to order a TX2 be warned that there is no quality control as far as what version (poor screen vs. great screen) you will receive. If you are purchasing your unit from a store be sure to remove it from the box and make sure you are receiving the glossy version of the screen. I recently had a lot of problems with HP.com and their inability to ship me the proper screen type even when I explained the difference and complained. 2 units latter I gave up and bought one from Comp.usa. I even got screwed out of their $899 special because of their inability to ship the right unit. I got a call from corporate today after emailing them with my request and they more or less said kiss my a*# when I asked for a rebate to make up the difference between my CompUSA (good screen) purchase and the $899 HP.com purchase. They would not comment on the difference in screens on the same model. Sound like he would of cut my throat if he was in the same room with me.
    In short buy from a retailer, inspect the unit and do not buy from HP.com!

5. technocrateus

technocrateus Pen Pal - Newbie

Just an update, my replacement tablet from HP.com was again another anti-glare screen, except this time, it came with a dead pixel as well. Regardless, I'm definitely returning it and going to either Staples or Office depot. So far the only deal I see is 2.2ghz, 4gb ram, 320gb HD, etc for 1050. Anyone have suggestions on how to make this deal sweeter?

6. unvisualism

unvisualism Pen Pal - Newbie

Haha. I bet you got my old anti-glare screen with a bad pixel, which I recently exchanged from HP.com for another anti-glare screen... so the joke is equally on me...

I gave a shot at calling in and explaining the problem, talked to HP Touchsmart Tech Support, HP Shopping Sales, and HP Shopping Customer Service.

HP Touchsmart Tech Support: Couldn't help, as expected, and said that they haven't been receiving reports of the problem

HP Shopping Sales: Though I was trying to buy a machine, even after I told her not... But she did go on with a sales pitch as to the screen quality of the tx2z is significantly better than previous Touchsmart models. I'm interested to talk to sales again as a "customer" to see what they can tell me about the screen. Maybe I can get some real info that way about and have better luck with Customer Service.

HP Shopping Customer Service: Said that they haven't changed the screen types and also took about 5 minutes to see if this was a known/reported problem. No dice, but she did say that I could take to laptop to an HP Certified location (ie Best Buy) to show an HP Representative the problem to have an eye witness to the problem. Sounds nice, but none of my electronic stores sell the model, but I might try anyway.

7. Mycanid

Mycanid There's a fungus amongus!

Hmm ... I guess I was lucky and got one with a good screen.

(I ordered mine from amazon.com btw....)

This is my first tablet pc, and I must say that I am satisfied with it thus far.

8. rjoudrey

I would love someone at HP to just say what the deal is. It's like dealing with some online hole in the wall. They can't really be this clueless. They must be afraid of a recall type situation. I have virtually stopped many people from buying from HP.com. You would have thought they would have given me a rebate to come on here and say "these guys are really good".

DrTigerLilly appears to be part of HP, maybe she/he can shed some light on this!

9. jiwwy-ast

jiwwy-ast Pen Pal - Newbie

I was like you at the beginning...
    Oddly, reviews didnt mention anything about the screen speckling/graininess...
    and when I received the unit, I was utterly shocked...I thought somebody left a piece of opaque plastic in front of the screen.... I got used it...saying to myself that you have to give away something for the low price...

but recently I stumbled on this thread here about removing the touchscreen and regain screen clarity...

I thought it was worth a shot....did it....really good move...
    Finally a decent screen to look at!
    If you are not afraid, it's a good solution imo...
    i can link the thread if you dont find it....

10. rjoudrey

I have a the good screen now and it's a shame you had to do that to get what you wanted. You would think HP would be bending over backwards in these times to secure business. Obviously internal disconnects! I am now hearing a clicking sound when something shuts down during power management, hope it is not something serious!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.