tx2z screen speckling normal?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TX2 (N-trig)' started by technocrateus, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbyslav

bobbyslav Pen Pal - Newbie

Well HP definitely put different screens in different batches. The differences are neither suddle, nor superficial and it takes one look, or even just touch to recognize it. The screens look and feel different even when they are not on.

2. starmaster7

starmaster7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I'm having the same issue with my new tx2z. I thought that's how the screen was supposed to be...but apparently not. Anyone have any luck returning this to HP directly? I might just do that and buy a "working" model in store from best buy...don't really wanna wait for a 2 week+ repair...

3. Razel

Razel Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all.I would like to add that my screen looks also warm and yellow and there is specklig.
    I love this tablet and being imported from UK there really isn't much I can do,fortunately it doesn't bother me all that much.

Could it be that it has a passive overlay as someone mentioned.I could send it to the UK in a month or so if there is actually a fix for this.

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One way to check if it's LED or CCFL is to open the display and look for an inverter or for the tubes.

The other more elegant solution would be to use a photoresistor or transistor, connect it to an oscilloscope and check the frequency. If you can see a PWM signal which has around 500Hz, then it's LED backlit, if there's no PWM signal and the frequency much higher, then it's CCFL.

But I think it's LED, why should they lie (whereas they also didn't knew that the TX does not have a Wacom digitizer inside)

I think the N-Trig digitizer is the same in every TX2. Because it's capacitive I can't imagine that it causes the speckling.
    The only different part could be the display then, in my opinion. There are some software tools out there, which I don't know, which read the manufactures data from the display, maybe you can check if the displays are really different.

5. bobbyslav

bobbyslav Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I think I am finally in tablet heaven. I picked up another TX2-1020US - this time from Office Depot. Same price as Best Buy, but has bluetooth built in, and everything works as it should. The screen is gorgeous - it looks sharp and clear and doesn't wobble in tablet mode. So far so good, I am still cleaning and setting it up, but so far everything looks awesome.

6. technocrateus

technocrateus Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank everyone for the input , for a while I was beginning to wonder if the screen was suppose to look that way. It was comforting to know that I am not the only one.

Anyways, just to give an update, I've opted to exchange one. Unfortunately, b/c I ordered from HP.com, I can't really see it before I buy. Anyways, my new one will be arriving in 1-2 weeks. keeping my fingers crossed!

7. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you mean speakling or a translucent/sparkling look? My screen is anti-glare. HP said that there where both screen types available upon request. I don't know what to beleive. It is definitley LED backlit bacause battery life is better than my ts2510us that I returned to CC. My screen is a little loose in the lock down position but not drastically.

8. Razel

Razel Pen Pal - Newbie

rjoudrey you have described my tablet to perfection.Mine is deffineteley anti-glare too,that was the thing i like about it I guess and that it's easy on the eyes.And my tx2 screen when locked up is ALSO a bit loose.

9. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe the screen is as good as it gets for a tablet pc. It is far better then the tx2510us that I returned. I have installed a photodon anti-glare screen protector and am very happy with the results. I believe the anti-glare screen came out after the glossy versions. Let me know what happens with the new one I am curious!

10. freakinjared

freakinjared Pen Pal - Newbie

just a word of caution guys:

there IS a difference in screen quality with the tx2z's. Mainly i've noticed with the tx2-1020us. (Please see my post for reference.)

Just to reiterate:

- the NEWER tx2z's seem to have fixed the screen wiggle issue
    - the NEWER tx2z's have a WHITER and BRIGHTER screen

I have TWO tx2z's and was really surprised at the quality control issue that seems to be plaguing this unit.

I'm about to swap my tx2-1020us out for another one. Bobbyslav, I'm glad your tx2-1020us is in great condition: WITHOUT screen wiggle and displaying a clear, beautiful screen.

I hope I can get lucky with this one....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.