tx2z screen speckling normal?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TX2 (N-trig)' started by technocrateus, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. technocrateus

technocrateus Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received my tx2z yesterday and so far loving everything about it except the screen. My whole screen "grainy" but not in the pixelated grainniness that you might see in lenovo for example, but rather speckling. It's almost as though there is a layer of poor quality screen protector on it. The speckling is most noticeable in light, especially white background and least noticeable in black background. Since none of the reviews mentioned this, I'm wondering, is this a physical defect w/ my screen or is it something I should simply something I should accept?

Please note, this is the tx2z w/ N-trig (not tx2500z or before) so the grainyness is suppose to not be an issue?!?

2. yellowsno

yellowsno Wants to be a Mod

That's actually a very common complaint of tx owners. It has to do with the passive touchscreen layer inside the screen. Really, there is nothing you can do about it (except maybe remove the touchscreen, but I'm willing to bet you won't go that far). See here for some more info and opinion.

EDIT: Wait, you have the tx2z? Interesting... You can bet that any graininess that you have is only magnified in previous versions... You might want the opinion of a tx2 owner, too (I overlooked that the first time I read through)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I only took a brief look at a tx2z at office depot today. Was in a rush and it looked clear, much better than the tx2500z. I recall looking directly at a white area of the screen.

I'm wondering, does the tx2z come with any plastic cover across the screen in the box, like you say it almost looks like. The tx2500z just had a black cloth between the screen and keys. So I guess you are pretty sure there's nothing to peal off the screen?

But since I mentioned Office Depot, they did have a display model. If you have a store near you, it might worth checking if they have it yet to compare.

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I also have the tx2z and what you're describing doesn't seem right to me. The biggest display issues for me are the glare of the glossy screen and the viewing angles. I don't think you should see any speckling. If you can, take a screenshot with a good still camera and post it.

5. unvisualism

unvisualism Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm experiencing the same problem. I received mine on the 26th of January. Besides the grainy/sparkly screen, mine also came with a bad pixel. Because of that I'm trying to do an exchange for a new tx2z.

6. lnghrngti

lnghrngti Pen Pal - Newbie

i have the tx2-1020, and i don't notice anything grainy about the screen.

a little off topic, but do you hear a buzzing/whining noise coming from near the volume controls when the screen is on? It's driving me batty.

7. bobbyslav

bobbyslav Pen Pal - Newbie

I just returned the second one of these. The first one had a great screen - that's why I got it. Well, it was actually really glossy and reflective, but worlds better than the grainy displays on the 2000/2500. Unfortunately my first one had a defective microphone and WiFi card. It was the weirdest thing - the microphone did not work at all, but the WiFi card worked great in tablet mode, while in laptop mode it would still say it was connected, but the connection was extremely slow, and eventually would quit all together (while still saying that it is connected.)

Anyway, I exchanged the first one and as soon as I opened the second, I noticed that the screen was different - it was the same as the TX2500. Even the feeling was different, and the pen did not glide very well on it and had a hard time registering.

I checked on here and saw that other people are experiencing this, so I gave HP a call and they confirmed that a lot of people have been calling with the problem. I bet someone somewhere messed up and kept putting passive digitizers on top of whatever the standard one should be.

They offered to send me a box for an exchange, but said it will take up to two weeks and since I have no such patience, I thought I'd try exchanging it again. This time, however, I opened it up right there in the store - Best Buy, and the third one also had the poor screen with the passive overlay. I finally just exchanged it. I think Best Buy might have gotten the bad batch.

I went by Office Depot where I saw one on display and it had a great screen. Tomorrow I'll try to get one from them, their model has bluetooth included for the same price as Best Buy anyway.

Otherwise though, I must say I really liked the TX2z. It was way better in everything than the TX2500. Vista runs much smoother, the touch input is awesome...I even liked the pen input better - it seemed easier and far more precise. The screen - when the proper screen is in place, looks like a regular laptop (of the glossy, reflective type though!)

One more thing - has anyone else noticed... on the box it says "LED" display, and by all accounts that's what we've assumed it's got. But if you look on the bottom there is a label warning about a mercury lamp inside... So I wonder which one it really is?

I experienced another brief problem with the second one (with the bad screen.) At one point the keyboard completely stopped working. I tried restarting, restoring through system restore, but nothing worked. Finally I took the battery off and put it back on and after that the keyboard worked again.

I am starting to wonder - is it crazy to keep wanting this laptop? I mean three out of three with some defect. What are the chances that the different model at Office Depot will be better?

8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So the current screen you have is glossy and reflective? Someone who was posting comments on my YouTube review of the tx2z says their's wasn't. I'll stop by a local store and see what they look like.

Yeah, the bluetooth is a must IMHO.

9. freakinjared

freakinjared Pen Pal - Newbie

while it's not nice to see other people having problems with their tx2z screens; it IS comforting to know i'm not the only one out there...

again, i have TWO tx2z's and they seem to have DIFFERENT screens.

"White and bright vs warm and yellow"

-- is the best way to describe the screen. And yet when side to side with a tx2500, it still manages to outshine it. And yes, there IS a speckle to the screen....

I'm seriously thinking about returning and waiting for the new EEE PC t61...

damnit. i really wanted to like the tx2z too. :(

10. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

I find LCD screens have a 'burn in' period, you dont notice it but it does get slighty duller over time, but so slowing you just dont notice or comprensate later.

I only ever noticed this when I put 2 identical screens next to each other but one mush older.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised of HP was using diffrent screens from whatever they manged to source in different batches of laptops,.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.