tx2z and tx2500z both support 8gb RAM?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sandock, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

I know those are the official numbers, but they aren't always accurate. I'm just saying since the newer one supports 8GB, it's very possible that the previous one does too since their hardware is extremely similar.

The cap on ram is a motherboard issue, pretty sure at least, so if they changed the motherboard in the tx2z (which i have no clue how different that one is), then there's the difference, and the reason why the tx2500z won't support 8GB.

As far as upgrading past 4GB, i'd say just stick with 4GB. I got 2x2GB sticks for $39 from newegg, and one 4GB stick is $170 from them (for ddr2-800). I'm using windows 7 32-bit with a 2GB paging file, so I have 2.8GB ram total (2813MB, for some reason it's not ~3300MB minus 256 for the graphics), and it runs fine. You can disable the paging file if you don't run anything memory intensive like photoshop or games, and don't keep a lot of tabs open in internet browsers. I'd recommend just having at least a 512MB paging file anyway.

2. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

Virtual XP (in windows 7) worked for me even when AMD-V was disabled in the bios. lol. no clue what's up with that. on my desktop if i disable virtualization, virtual XP doesn't work, then when i enable it, virtual XP is fine but folding@home crashes. D:

3. darkassain

darkassain Pen Pal - Newbie

true but i do remember when there was a press release they claimed support for 8gb (which was a big thing for a cheap consumer tablet)
    from what i recall with the tx2xxx (both nvidia and ati models) line hp never made such statement or posted as such

if you read on the manual yes its should be different as i does not have the same part # than the tx2500 has, so that makes me believe that yes it has a new motherboard...
    1/8 of your ram if you are really trying to squeeze a little more space from your HDD
    but you shouldnt disable the paging file as there are some programs that page themselves there...

now thats confusing...:confused:
    so would that mean the AMD-V option in bios does nothing?
    i might have to check on that later...

4. Jesstr

Jesstr Pen Pal - Newbie

Any updates on the following?

5. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

You know I've never really looked into it but, what are the differences between the tx2500z and the tx2z? They seem to have the exact specs as far as I can tell, is it just the touch screen? And if so, how is the tx2z better?
    I mean the tx2z came out only a couple months after the tx2500z but I dont see any real difference between them. :confused:

6. jacobdrj

jacobdrj Pen Pal - Newbie

ntrig capacitive digitizer in the tx2. Wacom passive/Active digitizers in the tx2500z/tx2510us/tx25xxx.
    Media buttons on the tx25xx. Multitouch on the tx2.
    tx2 has official 8gb RAM support, tx25xx does not 'officially' support 8gb.
    Color schemes are different.
    Clearer LED back-lit screen on the tx2.

7. xaueious

xaueious Pen Pal - Newbie

For $220 I'd consider an SSD upgrade instead.

Also if you are upgrading to 8GB, if your CPU can handle DDR2800 you should install 2 sticks of DDR2800. Memory bandwidth affects the performance of HD3200 a lot.

8. jacobdrj

jacobdrj Pen Pal - Newbie

For $180 I did upgrade to an OCZ Vertex 60 gig drive (I think I have that on my sig, I'll go check).
    It did make a BIG difference. But I need more RAM for things like multitasking and virtualization, which I am starting to get more heavily into.
    Unfortunately, the option to upgrade to 8 gigs has gone up in price.

Also, while DDR2 800 MHz might have a higher frequency, it is also $20 more, and has lower timings (6-6-6-18 vs 5-5-5-16 for the DDR2 667 MHz).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.