(tx2xxx series) Loose Hinge Issue -- Repair Instructions

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mep1234, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

My hinge just got loose again... (somewhat suddenly over the past few days)

That means that this fix will last at least 15 months...

I'll fix it when I get home today...

Aside from that, my machine is still running strong...

2. jacobdrj

jacobdrj Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! I was so afraid I would have to send my laptop back to HP... I didn't have time for that.

However, I wish I had found this article earlier. I have a TX2500Z CTO. tx2xxx is not easily searchable with the conventional search engines.

My friend has a tx2510us as well, and I know people who have tx2's so this page is going in my long term archives ;)

However, 1 quip with this repair: It seems that after the repair, one of the latches is not fully engaging when in tablet mode or in 'closed' mode. I think it is a result of the repair. The other latch is fine, but I don't know how long 1 of the 2 designed latches will hold under the double strain.

Any ideas?

3. amp

amp Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's all of the service manuals for the HP tx2000, although it works for any tx2*** laptops. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&product=3658348&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

What you really want is the HP Pavilion tx2000 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide, located here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01343334.pdf But it doesn't tell you how to disassemble the screen bevel. However, I managed to replace my hinge with a spare I bought using the posted walk-through and the Guide. Thanks!

The plastic clip-ons are quite strong, and I didn't break any of them while replacing my hinge. I guess you should be fine?

4. bclem05

bclem05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi I have done this repair once before and I guess the lock tight became loose again as happened when HP originally assembled the machine. I had no problems the first time, everything went swimmingly. On this occasion I followed the exact same steps but when i had finished I booted it up to find that when Windows loaded the speakers started buzzing quite loud. I have yet to find a fix.

I have a HP tx2500
    running Windows 7 pro
    no finger print scanner
    i already reinstalled the audio drivers
    I feel its a hardware issue as the speakers do not respond to software based controls such as muting or lowering the volume.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

5. babak00000

babak00000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much.
    works perfectly. :)

6. anctech

anctech Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi.
    I found this while looking for instructions on fixing a loose hinge on a touchsmart tx2.
    I tried to follow but I'm getting stuck on the first step.
    My tx2 only has six screws on the screen bezel. It doesnt have the two screws above just above the speakers.
    When I remove the screws, I still can't remove the bexel, as it seems to be held by something near the speakers, and isn't coming out easily.
    I don't to force and breake the bezel, and I can't find a service manual for this version of the tx2 (tx2-1360ca) on HPs website.

How can I remove the bezel so I can continue to try fixing the loose hinge? Os there another way to go about this?

Thanks

7. itstakenallihave

itstakenallihave Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having the exact same problem on my HP touchsmart tx2-1020us. Had any luck finding an answer?

8. mep1234

mep1234 Pen Pal - Newbie

After spending literally days trying to remove the bezel, I found that the bezel is glued to the display glass with double sided tape. I removed the bezel by slowly sliding an xacto knife between the bezel and glass to break the adhesive bond. I think the tape was there to replace the two screws by an over zealous Sandy Munro DFMA (design for manufacturing/assemble) acolyte. Beware, after if finished the job, My speakers made a horrendous noise as noted above I think due to some bad ground as a result of my work.