(tx2xxx series) Loose Hinge Issue -- Repair Instructions

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mep1234, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

I will not take responsibility for any damage, do this at your own risk

So... After 3 months of use my hinge got annoyingly loose:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=19139

As I mentioned, time was an issue and I really didn't want hp to take it for a few weeks...

So, I took it upon myself to repair the beast, as it felt like it was nothing more than a loose screw (four of them actually)

My repair job was successful and I thought I'd share the steps with anyone else who's having said issue.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The first thing you need to do is remove the rubber nubs and take out the screws beneath them.
    - There should be 8 of each.

[​IMG]

After you've done that, pull up bezel. Make sure to apply even pressure as not to break the plastic.
    - The corners are really tricky. They almost feel like they are going to break, but once you get one corner up, the rest will come off pretty easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only cord you will need to worry about when removing the bezel is the fingerprint reader, but it will detach pretty easily
    (in fact, just pull the bezel up and it will unclip itself from the chip)

[​IMG]
    NOTE: DON'T FORGET TO REATTACH THIS WHEN YOU REVERSE THE PROCESS

IMPORTANT: Do NOT pull the bezel off in tablet mode, you won't be able to lift it back up. The latch mechanism comes off with the bezel.
    [​IMG]

Once the bezel has been taken off, remove the silver screws along the bottom that hold the two chips(left - status lights, right - quick launch buttons, and the two speakers)
    - There should be 6 screws
    NOTE: You will not need to remove any screws that secure the lcd
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With those screws removed, peel up the two chips and lift up the speakers to get to the problematic screws
    - The speakers have a small bit of tape holding them down...
    - I was only able to lift the right speaker up enough to tighten the screws, I didn't attempt to pull it up any higher... (left came up pretty easily)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you have the speakers out of the way, you can tighten the 4 screws...

Problem Solved, at least for me...

I hope this helps anyone else with this issue (who doesn't want to wait for hp or is out of warranty)

Oh, speaking of warranty... As far as I can tell, I've left no evidence of my work... So, I think my warranty is still good...

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

I'm finding it very interesting how easy it is to do various repairs on the tx2000 series. First the passive digitizer removal and now this. I may buy a tx2000 just for its longevity (Since basically the tx1000 and tx2000 use the same chassis and probably have inter changable parts for alot of things).

3. pattertj

pattertj Tablet Tweaker

I would say it fairly common among most laptops. Lenovo provides repair manuals so that is a piece of cake for any issue you might have. My T4220 was easy to service. I had to access the keyboard, hinge, latch, and screen and all were user service-able.

I think the parts thing might be a larger issue for other brands.

4. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Yeah, thats pretty much the main issue. It seems that HP is going to stick with the same chassis for a while, meaning all previous versions automatically have extra support. While Fujitsu and Lenovo use slightly different chassis that for the most part are not cross-compatible. (Lenovo x60 series v Lenovo x41), (Fujitsu t2010 v Fujitsu f42x0 series v fujitsu f40x0 series), (Toshiba M700 v Toshiba M400 v Toshiba M200).

The fact that the HP's are undeniably the most bought (not necessarily the best) tablets also makes the tx series more future proof.. when it comes to repairs anyway.

EDIT: The Gateway's also seem to do the same thing as the HP's since all of them (Except the M275) use a identical chassis.

5. jomodad

jomodad Pen Pal - Newbie

whoa! excellent work. The only evidence is this detailed instruction with photos of You doing the deed.

6. Archangel

Archangel Pen Pal - Newbie

Excellent job on the screenshots!

7. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

lawl

but they don't have a name XD (no.. juice isn't my real name)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

And the part number in the 4th photo.
    But that's assuming they read this forum so....

9. Juice

Juice Pen Pal - Newbie

I suppose it would make for a fairly permanent hold once applied...

I don't think I'd be willing to coat the entire mechanism though XD

Oh really?? :rolleyes: :p

10. RaidenWoW

RaidenWoW Pen Pal - Newbie

No I mean the blue stuff that goes on the screws- I assume that's supposed to hold them in (which it does a terrible job at)...
    If you used something such as gorilla glue, it would certainly hold them in...

I coated my dv9000 because I had to. All the hinges were destined to crack sooner or later. The only way to totally fix it was to make the hinge and the bezel and screen one big solid part so it wouldn't crack.