TX2525 noisy audio when wireless on :(

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Crito, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zmol

Zmol Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there
    Got myself a hp tx2525 machine. Im quite happy with it although there are some things that annoy me. I will start with the biggest issue that I have with this little machine:

* The audio plays smoothly with the inbuilt speakers, with head phones, or external speakers, but the moment i turn on wireless, it starts making scratchy static noises in whenever I play audio/movies/login sounds etc. It annoys me to an extent that I simply dont listen to music if it is connected to the internet or that I find myself turning off the wireless unless im using it at that very moment, and all in all I feel that this bug defeats some of the overall utility of my little tablet :(

some other issues just in case someone has some ideas :)

* My tablet crashes to bsod at random times or it crashes with some mosaic like freeze (tiny little rectangular tiles covering the screen). It seems that this happens a lot more if I use it after sleep. Im blaming vista but who knows? :(

* The boot time is something like 3 minutes with the standard HP vista installation. That really pisses me off because my old stationary pc boots in less than a third of that with pc3200 ram.. When it has booted a game like WoW boots perhaps 30-40% faster than my stationary though.. So.. why the long boot times.. maybe vista.. I liked xp better :(.

If you guys (and girls) can help me solve even one of these problems I would be very thankful :) Cheers

2. twistntouch

twistntouch Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey. Most of your problems are easily explained/fixed.

First, the audio is a known issue. Its the a band of your a/g/b/draft-n wireless card. All you have to do is go into device manager and disable your n band. Theres some pretty good walkthroughs on the site already if you are unfamiliar with how to do that.

Second, I have no experience with mosaic crashes?? I have no idea what that could be. That doesn't sound too good to me... If its frequent, that might be a major issue.

Third, the boot time with Vista BLOWS!! Really nothing you can do about that. I usually just keep my tx2500 in sleep 70% of the time because it comes out of sleep in half a second. Hope that helps.

3. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

There's plenty of discussion about the sound issues in the forums. Just turn off the "a" band in your wireless prefs and sound should be fine.

The broadcom wireless cards have issues coming out of sleep. Again there's much talk in the HP section of the forums. My TX is fine but my Mini_Note crashes when it wakes up if the wireless is on, but only on my home router (not work or others I use regularly). So I'm going to spend some time looking at my router (Belkin) settings.

Vista is not as quick to boot (or run on the same hardware) as XP, but if your using the factory install then your boot time is about double what I'm getting with my clean Vista install. I get to the log in screen in about 40 seconds. Nortons will also cause massive boot slow downs and it's installed by default. Remove it. Also if you're not getting the sleep of death issues then try using sleep instead. About 7 seconds to sleep and five to wake up (again on my clean install).

Now I have three Vista machines set up the way I like them I find going to my XP machines a horrible chore. Navigating in Vista and the tablet stuff are far superior. Just my opinion though.

Gordon

4. Zmol

Zmol Pen Pal - Newbie

Thx for the replies guys - turning off the a-band fixed the problem... what the... i think i just heard another sound glitch.. maybe I am just jumping at shadows now but.. I think its working now :) What does it do - disabling that band? Lower speeds or compatibility or?
    Will this fix my random BSODs too?

I will probably install vista myself to improve the boot time. If I could get anywhere near 40 secs I would be thrilled!

5. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

Most routers are b/g/n bands. If you were using "a" you'd know it. Not having it turned on will have no impact on the performance of the other bands.

I'm not sure whether it will have any impact your computer crashing. Are the crashes totally random? Do you use sleep?

A completely fresh install of Vista will solve a whole bunch of annoying issues including improved boot time, improved performance, and control of the amount of bloatware installed on the machine. Remember to follow the guides in the forums and make sure you back up your SW folder so you have access to all the original programs like the CD burning software etc.

For the record my TX2000 has a fresh install and has absolutely no issues with drivers, crashes or lock-ups.

Gordon

6. Crito

Crito Scribbler - Standard Member

Updating the driver and disabling wireless-a helps but it doesn't completely solve the problem. I occassionally still get a pop or clicking sound, very similar to static on an old record player. Don't get me wrong, it's 99% better, but the issue remains unresolved.... and if you ask me the only real solution is getting HP to replace the cr@ppy Broadcom cards they've been selling..

7. Crito

Crito Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows Update has a new optional driver download for the Broadcom card. Anyone here try it yet?

EDIT: Hmm, it's gone now. Checked my update history and didn't install it. Guess MS removed it. 3/12/2008 (4.170.77.3) seems to still be latest ver. So nevermind...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.