tx2522au/tx2500 widespread digitiser issues?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by rjh, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm now on my 3rd replacement tx2522au unit, the previous units having been diagnosed by HP (including onsite visit by tech) and been declared DOA. All units display an issue with the digitiser.

In tablet mode, there is a region on the right hand edge of the display, running from 3cm to 6cm from the top of the display and up to about about 20 pixels at its widest, where the digitiser pen can not operate. It's like a bubble on the right edge where the cursor is deflected away from, and this behaviour also occurs to a lesser extent in the same region, but further away from the edge.

This means that it is difficult to pick up the scroll thumb or up scroll arrow with the digitiser. It also means that it isn't possible to close or select the settings of the second widget in the sidebar, for example. Whenever the digitiser is used in the vicinity of the area, the cursor is deflected considerably to the left of the pen. This means you can't draw anything approximating a straight line in the area. Calibration isn't very good over the rest of the display, but acceptable I think.

While this isn't a showstopping issue, it isn't the behaviour I expect from a TabletPC. Even my very old NEC tablet has better calibration than this. Apart from my 3 units, many of the units I have seen at retail also exhibit the same behaviour, but I have also seen units that appear OK - and I'd prefer to own one of those!

HP and their techs seem pretty clueless when it comes to this issue, for some reason troubleshooting required updating the video driver but not the Wacom digitiser driver :-(

Can others here comment on their experience with this? And does anybody have knowledge of the tolerances that HP set for calibration?

Thanks!

2. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll be picking up my tx2500z from FedEx today, I'll try that out and let you know. And if it does have the issue, I'm glad you told us so none of use go through that many exchanges.

Were you actually able to use a pen in the stores. The tx2510us I was able to look at are always in those locked displays across the screen hinge, making it hard to find if the pen is still there.

3. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, that might be helpful. It's a pretty obvious problem, when you run your digitiser pen down the right fascia edge in tablet mode you'll see the cursor move away from the tip to the left and back again. amount varies, on my first unit the deflection was about 17 pixels, second unit it was 14. You can position Paint in that corner of the display and see how a straight line is rendered.

I take my own stylus - I have a couple - when trying in stores, as retail support for tabletPCs is abysmal. Stylii are seldom available (even had one salesperson suggest just using a ballpoint pen) and the screens are never calibrated anyway. I've seen a couple of tx2500 without any tablet features installed on display.

4. timothyb

I only had a brief moment to test this out. Just from my first experience with the Pen, I find the accuracy is different from one area to the next on the screen. Which sounds like how when you drag the pen down the side, it appears to move out and in at some spots.

On my screen, when in laptop open mode, it's pretty accurate on the top left and top right. The worst spot is just before the bottom left corner, before the start button. There, it can be slight offset to the upper right of the pen by the distance of a letter character or less, and as I get closer the very bottom left corner (when coming from the center, not the sides), it becomes more accurate again. It's a little off on the bottom right too, not near as much.

If I close the screen in tablet mode, then it puts this bad accuracy spot on the top right, so it can be just enough to miss small radial buttons in menus of programs.

For perfect accuracy, I guess I should keep in mind where the dot is floating and not always attempt to click perfectly with the pen tip. I did try once in calibration to offset that corner by purposely missing the target. It looked like it helped some, by getting a more average, but I'll have to try a few times to get it just right. Though, since the calibration only uses 4 points in the corners, not much can be done of the inaccuracy is near the middle of the sides.

I think people have said windows 7 beta has a calibration system with a long more points.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of the offset. And is it a good idea to find updated drivers or wacom software?

5. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, the following screenshot shows the extent of the problem:

[​IMG]

I think HP have stuffed up - it is a hardware fault.

The problem may affect all units of the tx2500 with Wacom digitiser.

There is a very strong magnet embedded in the screen edge, this is used to sense when the screen orientation should be changed for tablet mode. I believe this was part of the original design from the tx1000 touchscreen only models and presented no issues for that application.

However, now that a Wacom active digitiser has been fitted, digitiser calibration is seriously affected in the vicinity of the magnet.

HP should easily be able to verify that the problem exists. I can't believe that fixing the problem would be difficult, either.

6. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

I don't have any problem with the digitizer on my TX2500z. And I'm using a screen protector. If anything on the left side in tablet mode, about 3-5mm that the dot doesn't reach if I hold the pen at an 45 deg angle to the edge. Otherwise I get edge to edge use of the screen.

7. timothyb

I ran the pen along the side earlier today and it seemed to work fine on the entire side. I'll do the screenshot on all the areas of my screen tonight.

8. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe this is related to the strength of the magnet embedded in the screen edge?

On mine, it is extremely strong - far more than is required to operate the sensor. Hard to measure the strength, but it will easily support the weight of a USB memory key; it is several times stronger than the two magnets that pull up the case latches (and these don't seem to affect the digitiser).

How would others rate the strength of their magnets?

Thanks for confirmation that not all units behave as mine have, maybe HP will get the problem fixed for me.

9. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, HP have just replaced the display on the current unit. As expected, no improvement. If anything, the problem is worse.

They've gone away to figure out the next step, apparently a "Customer Experience" person will contact me.

Not a great experience so far. And even after 6 weeks, no resolution in sight.

10. Modnar

Modnar Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same model (bought in NZ as its a A/NZ specific one) and I dont have that problem at all.

I know that on teh edges digitisers never have been great but mine works fine on the edge (holding it right along the entire edge).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.