tx2510 - CPU Working Light Constantly Flashing

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by QuantamPulse, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuantamPulse

QuantamPulse Pen Pal - Newbie

Ever since I have turned on the PC from the start, the CPU working light has flashed constantly and quickly over and over without ever stopping.

Even with no applications opened by me, power save mode on, and windows sidebar closed out, there is still a constant flashing.

I went through the Vista optimazation guide that was posted in a few different thread here and it has made no difference. I have never had a computer before that never stopped working so fast. I can find nothing that shows it should be making the computer read that much information that long. Shouldn't it at least stop working for brief periods of time if I am not doing anything ? It never stops flashing quickly.

2. newooub

newooub Pen Pal - Newbie

Windows' indexing maybe?

3. QuantamPulse

QuantamPulse Pen Pal - Newbie

I turned off Windows Indexing and Windows Search based on the Vista Optimization thread. At first I though it might have been that as well.

I am not very familiar with Windows Vista. Maybe its just different from XP since there are more things going on in the background. On Xp, background processes didn't really cause the CPU light to flash unless it was something more intesive such as a Windows Update or something.

Looking at my list of processes running, the only ones that are showing CPU useage are...

taskmgr.exe
    hpqbam08.exe
    dwm.exe

I am fairly sure that the hpqbam08 is something from my network printer that I just installed since it was not there when I posted the message originally.

4. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

That's the HD light. When the harddrive is accessed, the light will flash.

When you start Vista, once all your programs load, windows prefetch will begin accessing you recently started programs and load them into memory so when you do start the program, it loads faster. This will last around two minutes after you reach your desktop.

Vista also has an indexing system that will run at routine points in the background. while there is no significant performance hit, many users have turned it off. However, if you use windows search in explorer often (including office outlook), this may be useful.

Finally, and this is just an observation of mine after a few weeks of ownership, I've noticed the light flash even when the hard drive is not being accessed. I don't know why this is, but if you check under the reliability and performance monitor, there is a tab where you can see what is being accessed. It still flashes even when no activity is shown.

5. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

Like cloudnine said it's the HDD light, not a CPU light. The process that's running is the superfetch service, which loads your unused ram with stuff you "might" need. It learns your patterns over time and will calm down a bit, but unless you disable it it will always run.

I run a few programs that use lots of RAM so I disabled superfetch as it slowed these programs down significantly. And I wonder what it does to battery life?

Windows search is very useful and you can turn its indexing frequency down in the power settings so it's on "power saver".

Try disabling superfetch and see if that helps.

Gordon

6. Parjoe

Parjoe Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed the same thing with mine. Disabling Superfetch stopped most of it. It sounds like a good idea to have frequently used programs prefected, but it doesn't seem worth it.

Now it flashes a lot less with just the indexing (which I don't mind). I also noticed that Media Center was working it a lot. It was scheduled to download stuff everyday to keep tv listings, etc, up to date. You can however go into the Task Scheduler and change that. I put it to once a week because I don't use it that often.