tx2500z Thermal Throttling

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jw12345, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jw12345

jw12345 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx2510us tablet with a ZM-80 (2.1Ghz) CPU and every time I do anything CPU intensive for more than 5 minutes or so, the load temp gets to 97-101C and will start thermal throttling itself. Is this normal for these tablets? I've heard of others' tablets doing this, but it makes games unplayable when the FPS suddenly plummets after a few minutes and is annoying when trying to encode video causes 100% CPU usage. I understand that these run hot and loud, but wouldn't a CPU getting so hot that it halves its clock be abnormal operation enough that HP would repair or replace since we aren't getting the processing power we paid for?

I'm sure I could lap the heatsink, replace the thermal compound and pads, undervolt, etc., but I'm still in warranty and don't see it as our responsibility to fix HP's mistakes. Anybody have any luck RMAing to HP because of this?

2. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

It's not normal, I'd send it in... I've had mine since last summer, and have never to my knowledge had it throttle the CPU due to heat, and I play most of the lastest games on mine (although at reduced graphics levels ;-) It does heat up, but I keep it on a solid surface, and have never had an issue. So, sounds like yours is getting a bit too hot for some reason.

3. arthursantossp

arthursantossp Pen Pal - Newbie

@jw12345:
    You can try, but search HP official foruns and you´ll notice how many people are fighting against HP for a real solution, but having no sucesss... The reason we developed the mod tutorials, are that we are tired of discussing with HP... :(

@be77solo:
    The heating wil become a problem just after months of intensive use...

4. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, you could try and hopefully have better luck than what I came across. Basically they kept mine for 3 weeks and finally said there wasn't anything wrong with it. So, my ZM-86 regularly hits 100C+ and this has been happening since the first day I bought the laptop. Watching flash videos means 97C cpu temps which shouldn't happen even if the AMD cpu runs hot plus its HP's job to cool their systems down adequately. Its quite clear these things have inadequate cooling systems.

In any case the tx2500 isnt my main system anymore since I got a thinkpad T400 last month so I havent bothered trying to contact HP for a fix. The only surprising thing for me at least is that nothing has failed till now even though I see 100C temperatures(of course not constantly) everyday for the past year or so.

5. jw12345

jw12345 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, everybody. My volume up LED is also out, so I'm going to send it in and complain about both. It seems this isn't uncommon, so I'll let you guys know in a few weeks if they will do anything about it. This has to be the worst laptop I've ever used.

6. jw12345

jw12345 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got the tablet back with a replaced motherboard and heatsink assembly, and although the problem is mitigated, it's still there.

Can somebody else try this?: run prime95 with the notebook plugged in, and watch coretemp, and see where the temp is at in 20 minutes or so? I'm getting up to 101C before it throttles.

Since this is my third motherboard and heatsink combo, I'm thinking this is a design fault of HP, but what recourse do we have when HP just keeps replacing the parts and sending it back not fixed?

7. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, thats correct, the tdie max for the current crop of Turions is 100C and the core shutdown temps are ~105C.

8. octagonalman

octagonalman Pen Pal - Newbie

With two instances of Prime95, I'm getting 86C - same with Far Cry 2. 19C room temp. I do have a ZM-82 at 1.05V though.

9. jw12345

jw12345 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm guessing because you have yours undervolted that your temps are lower, but that's still really high. I can't believe HP would ship a notebook that would overheat so easily. I would undervolt, but the last time I tried I kept getting lock ups even at relatively small voltage changes.

Supposedly somebody with higher authority than a CSR is supposed to (eventually) contact me about this, but I think this is a problem with all the tx2500 series, unless you undervolt.

10. octagonalman

octagonalman Pen Pal - Newbie

I suppose this is more of a cheap combination of parts passing off as a tablet rather than being design to be a tablet, with dual-core to provide a responsive user experience rather than for raw computational power. Though I'm satisfied given the amount of money I didn't have to pay for the next cheapest tabletpc. Mine normally hovers around 60C when I'm doing my normal stuff.
    I trust that you've tried some common-sense approaches such as using it on hard, dust-free surfaces, ensuring the intakes are free of dust, elevating the rear of the unit or even using a cooling pad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.