tx2500z shipping delays?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by man4857, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duface

Duface Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered on the 16th too, estimated june 26th ship date. My friend ordered the DV6700t on the 16th too, but he actually got his laptop yesterday. I think its safe to say that there's some delay with the puma platform, probably a shortage, :[.

2. bait

bait Pen Pal - Newbie

well i tried to cancel but they said it was too late into the production. i guess i will have to deal with the delay. :( the $50 coupon code is nice but wish it was cash. oh well...

3. Mendel

Mendel Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick question, where is the option for my 2.4ghz processor that I want to order? I've searched the site and only can find 2.1 and 2.2 options =[.
    And anyone have a ballpark idea of when I have to order to get my laptop by August?

4. roflballs

roflballs Pen Pal - Newbie

They removed the 2.4ghz from the customization options a few days ago, presumably because of a shortage of the processors.

You can check this thread for more details:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=18041

Also, if you want the laptop by August, I recommend you order NOW. Already, the expected shipping dates for the tx2500 are one month after ordering dates. I ordered one on 6/21 with an estimated shipping date of 7/22. In addition, a one week additional delay seems to be the norm, even for people who ordered a week ago. (Also, shipping takes 5-7 days, unless you want to pay extra)

It's quite possible that even if you order now, you may not receive the system by August. :( If you really need the system ASAP, you may want to look at a preconfigured tx2500 from a local store or online retailer such as newegg, especially if you don't want to wait around for the next coupon .

Hope that helps!!

5. Mendel

Mendel Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, thats good to know.
    Btw, will I be missing out much on the 2.2 vs the 2.4?
    And will the heating and power consumption difference make up for performance?

6. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

No on both questions. Any difference in terms of power consumption will be marginial at best and the performance is not going to be noticable at all unless you run benchmarks daily, in which case you will notice the difference. Ofcourse the 2.4GHz will be faster but the difference is not too big.

7. roflballs

I seriously doubt you will notice any major difference between 2.2 and 2.4. They are identical except for clock speed. Most applications nowadays are either bottlenecked by memory or graphics, not by CPU. In terms of real-life performance, I doubt the difference will even be 5%.

Both the 2.2 and 2.4 ghz processors are rated at a 35 Watt TDP. I don't have details on the voltage settings, etc, but I assume the two would be almost identical in terms of heat production. The 2.1 ghz processor, however, is rated at 32W, and should thus theoretically run cooler. Whether or not 3W really makes a difference is up in the air, though. If you plan on underclocking the processor for more battery life, however, the small difference should not be much of a factor anyway.

*HP just added the RM-70 to the list of processor options. Although it is part of the Puma platform, it has half of the L2 cache of the ZM processors. I recommend staying away from these unless processing power is not a factor at all.

8. Mendel

Mendel Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, so the conclusion is: Mendel stick with the same config and get a 2.2, get it now before you go to college.

Btw my college starts August 19th, anyone top that as far as being earlier?
    I'm flying down there on the 10th to visit family and such so thats why I need this soon. Thanks for all your help everyone.

9. roflballs

That should be fine... but IMHO the preconfigured models are a much better deal, probably 100-200 cheaper (depending on whether or not you buy from hp's academic purchase program) and will arrive much sooner. This is assuming a new tx2500 coupon doesn't come out within the next few days.

Unless there's something in the customization options that you really need (such as an 8-cell battery, which you can still purchase separately for a total of about the same cost), I say go for the preconfigured model on the hp site. (or use http://shopper.cnet.com/ to look for other online retailers)

10. zeromeus

zeromeus Pen Pal - Newbie

I just called HP customer service and a person named Brian (I'm wondering if I spoke to a U.S. CSR or one from India...) said that I should expect the order to ship tomorrow and the unit will arrive on July 2nd or July 3rd. I complained about why I didn't receive any communication from HP about the delay and got nothing out of it. Let's see what happens tomorrow and if I can squeeze anything out of them. I'd love for them to throw in an auto/car/air adapter or the MOGO mouse for FREE.

My customized PC includes:

- HP Pavilion tx2500z Entertainment NB
    - Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)
    - AMD Turion(TM) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-86 (2.4 GHz)
    - 12.1" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) w/Integrated Touch-screen
    - 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    - ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics
    - HP Imprint Finish (Echo) + Microphone + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam
    - Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n and Bluetooth
    - 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    - LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
    - 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery