tx2500z melted on me.

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Stinger1988, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinger1988

Stinger1988 PennState-Junior

Computer was fine, then I went on a trip to my gfs house (hour away) when I got there the screen was melted on the side where the DVD buttons are. Computer was NOT on during the trip. The only thing I can think of Is one of the buttons shorted out causing this. What do you guys think? Also this should be covered under normal warenty right?

2. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

I've noticed this side of the monitor (the edge with all the playback buttons) gets warmer than the other side during regular use. But not as hot as where the fan is connected.

Not sure what could've caused it to melt.

3. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

@Bernok:
    same thing here, kinda was bugging me...

@Stinger1988:
    also, another VERY slight possibility...did u leave the battery in the laptop? altho unlikely, it MIGHT have turned on with it was jostled around and the power switch caught onto something. if was inside the bag and if u noticed the bag being warm or hot....

voila, that might've been the problem and times when u wish the power switch was INSIDE and not the sides.

4. Stinger1988

The battery was in the computer and it was in my bookbag. The fan area was not touched or anything else, just melted near those buttons. i did plug it in and try turning it on and it seemed like it was going to boot but it turned off in about 10 sec and the area where it was melted got very hot in just those 10 sec of being plugged in so thats why i think it may be a short in some of the wiring for the button. Do you guys think HP is going to give me crap about replacing it?

5. Stinger1988

well HP is saying that its my fault and is not covered so i filed a report with the mananger

6. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

plastic as a way way way higher melting temperature then the cpu+gpu will generate, even if it did its auto-shutoff will kill the power way before then as well.

Best to go back to HP

7. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I would keep pressuring HP.

Now I'm curious on why the screen gets warmer on the Right edge than the Left one.

8. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

The right side of the LCD holds the power inverter. Switches the current up so that the LCD can work correctly. Sometimes inverters can go bad and short out the LCD cable. Which will cause a minor fire inside of the display and melt components. Warranty would cover this, only if the inverter(or a other hardware component) was the failure. If they receive the unit and just find some melted plastic and no source of the damage. They will call is customer induced and offer a estimate for repair. Which will be high since you know, LCD assemblies are expensive.

- Since HP directly is giving you trouble you may want to try Geeksquad. They will send it to their authorized MFG repair center. If it is a true hardware failure and you are still within warranty, they will repair it at no cost to you.

9. Stinger1988

I will see what the hp manager says. I tried plugging it in ( turned off) and it got real hot instantly so clearly this is not accidental. The melted area is right where everyone says it gets hot so I would keep close eye on the area

10. timothyb

timothyb Pen Pal - Newbie

Whatever happened to the customer is always right? First they say it's your fault, on what grounds I may ask. You told them it happened during a trip where the tablet was not plugged in, so it wasn't a power surge, but some malfunction of the hardware. I guess HP likes to call people liars.

And if you do send it to them so they can determine who's at fault, to god knows where, they could just say whatever they want without even looking at it and you'd never see it again.

I've noticed it gets hot on one side of the LCD too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.