Tx2500 Windows 7 or XP?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sirjaume, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

XP introduced a double memory footprint to 2000thanks to it's much slower and arguably prettier UI with gradient themes. Most corporations didn't bother upgrading from 2000 for years. The only reason I upgraded to XP was some backwards compatability additions. Windows 7 has some major usability changes, much more so the XP to 2000.

Yes. Its tablet features are a big step forward from Vista (especially if you enable some extra hidden features by using the Blue Badge unofficial registry patch)

-Great Wizard

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

If I understand that statement right then I have to disagree. Win 7 is much more like Vista than XP was like 2000. All the reviews I've read agree Win 7 is just a '****-shine', whereas XP introduced quite a few things to 2000, eg. substantial GUI changes, proper DirectX, different drivers etc. Most are 'consumer' orientated though, hence why MANY businesses stayed with 2000 (which is less resource intensive).

For the TX2 I'd hold off the Win 7 beta since the N-Trig drivers, although they improve the touch experience, disable pen input. Wait until the next version of the drivers is released, then give it a try. Unless you're just curious that is!

3. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

Its way more then a polish of vista, although its hard to tell without knowing exactly what they have done, performace on a lot better on slower machines are memory usage is way down.

Have it running very nicly on a 1.2ghz Athlon, 512meg ram aero interface and everything.

4. showboatfp

showboatfp Pen Pal - Newbie

So you're saying everyone can continue running the beta after August? I know it's best to switch to retail for security fixes but wouldn't that kind of hurt the launch of 7?

5. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

The official line is all version of Win7 beta will stop working august and beta installations will not be upgradable to the retail version.

Presumabley MSDN subscribers will get a new key and a new download for the full version.

Someone will probably hack the beta so it doesn't expire in august though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.