Tx2500 Windows 7 or XP?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sirjaume, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirjaume

sirjaume Pen Pal - Newbie

I m usinf windows xp and it works fine for me.I would like to know if its worth to forget about xp and install the beta of windows 7 on my tx2500.People who has tried i would like to read their pros and contras.
    Another question is if shall i install windows 7 32 bit or 64?

tx2500 3 gb 320hd
    thanks

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

XP
    Pro: stable, fast
    Con: MS will probably drop support in the next 4 years

W7
    Pro: latest and greatest
    Con: BETA SOFTWARE NOT MEANT TO BE INSTALLED AS A PRIMARY MOS! W7 Beta will EXPIRE in August, so what's the point? NO support from MS or HP if something goes wrong with the software.

3. yellowsno

yellowsno Wants to be a Mod

In agreement with the previous post, I see no issue in a dual boot between XP and 7. You should NOT rely on 7 as your main OS. Sometime in August, most likely on the 1st, your Windows 7 partition will become useless, and it is questionable if you will even be able to rescue files from it. Personally, I'm dual-booting Vista and 7, and so far the experience is alright.

4. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

You'll always be able to rescue files since it's just standard NTFS. However, also wouldn't recommend any beta OS as the only install (unless you have >1 Tablets/laptops) - you do aim to get work done don't you?

Also, do you realise that Windows 7 is pretty much Vista? It's just a spit-shined version, as was Windows 98 to 95 or XP to 2000 (though arguably XP introduced more new tech to 2000 than 7 will to Vista).

5. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

Run XP tablet or Vista. There are reasons why Microsoft warns beta testers to not use W7 as a main OS. I'd rather trust them than self-proclaimed pros floating around forums who base OS stability entirely on one week of light usage.

6. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

I am using 7 on all my primary computers with little to no real issues. What I am struggling with is that IE8 is less compatible with the Internet than 7 and FF. I am not a FF fan but until IE8 gets better I will likely have to go there. There is a compatibility view that allows many pages to work that don't in 8, but some don't work in it either. Other than that, it is very stable and a nice OS. If you are using XP because you don't like the interface of Vista, then you won't like 7 either. If you are using XP because it performs better than Vista, so does 7. Give it a try via dual boot or on a computer that is not that important if you have one. That is how I tried it at first. But the beta is pretty good and I am using it on my primary pc and my laptop.

7. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I used to agree with that post in the worst way, until i realized how many unstable programs there are. I even have had some programs refuse to install on me before.

Dont get me wrong, it is a nice OS but it is far from done.

EDIT: @ cloudnine. 7 is extremely stable and has been since build 6801. The point is they warn you because the know they don't have all the bugs worked out yet, which was the basis of this post.

8. toibry

toibry Pen Pal - Newbie

XP to 2010

9. Larsky

Larsky Pen Pal - Newbie

(My first Post)
    If you do install Windows 7 Beta, it will not just become useless after august. Microsoft will continue releasing keys after august to those who already have the Beta. I am currently running Windows 7 on my tx2510us and it runs great. After installing the OS, I downloaded and installed all the essential HP software and drivers from that come preloaded with vista.
    Note: The Windows 7 i have is "Unlocked" with water mark and "send Feedback" removed

Hp Software and Drivers here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3747931&lang=en

10. pinholepirate

pinholepirate Pen Pal - Newbie

isn't windows 7 supposed to be better with touch screen multitouch stuff (i am getting a tx2z) is that reason enough to try it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.