tx2500 will not throttle CPU

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bams, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bams

Bams Bunnie's Baby

So, I installed XP Tablet ed on my tx2510us using the information here, many thanks to the contributors of the various threads I trudged through to get everything I needed.

Currently, I have everything working, with one curiosity... my CPU is stuck at 2.1g all the time. There's no throttling going on. I've installed all of the ATI chipset and graphics drivers, I've checked it with various tools and it's definately note changing speeds at all.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

2. HellParker

HellParker Civil Engineer

3. Bams

Bams Bunnie's Baby

Ok well blah. I have the processor driver and the DCO installed, it might be an older one, I'll install the one you posted and get back to you.

4. Bams

Bams Bunnie's Baby

Well I guess it's working. I uninstalled the driver I had, which was the same one you linked above, and rebooted. Obviously there was a diff because my temps went up 5-7C. I reinstalled using the link you provided to make sure I had a good copy, and it must be working because my temps have gone back down 5-7C.

Strangely, all of the utilities show the CPU at 2096-2099 all the time. This can't possibly be right, or it would be a toaster (which it's close enough to already).

So this is exasperating. Long story short... my factory Vista install got scragged. The recovery set I made didn't work. I'm not buying a replacement. So I tried Windows 7 RC1, which worked great, because it allows way more control over the CPU, and by capping my CPU at 90%, i was able to trim down the heat quiet a bit.

But I don't like Windows 7, my netbook has XP, my desktop has XP, I like XP, I didn't like Vista. Linux works on the tablet, but it seems to run very hot all the time also.

Watching flash videos in balanced performance mode will easily crank it up to 84C-86C. Is that normal? Won't that totally melt the tablet after a short time? So it spends it's day on power saver modes to choke back the CPU and such, trying to keep the heat down.

Is there something I'm missing? A better way to make this happen, or should I suck it up and go get Windows 7?

5. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

strange, I'm using win 7 professional and when I throttle the cpu to 90% it jumps down to 1.05 ghz...

99% does the same... has anyone made software underclock work on this laptop? (from 2.1 to 1.8 ghz or something of the sort)

6. Bams

Bams Bunnie's Baby

I have been unsuccessful in finding a utility that will successfully underclock my 2510. all of the utilities discussed on the threads I found here proved to be ineffective.

7. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

You should go for Windows 7.

I'm guessing that the problem you are having is for the lack of proper support of P-State Transitions (CPU Power States) in Windows XP power management.

This should be fixed by installing HP custom power management software, not the AMD stuff you installed, but since that doesn't seem to be available, then I think you're out of luck.

Try and use Windows 7 for a month, you'll probably never go back again. I know I didn't. ;)

8. Darkfrost

Darkfrost Pen Pal - Newbie

There's one option in the bios, on the tx2000 atleast, which WILL affect over/underclocking. Can't remember what it's called, but it's practically the only option there. Might be something about power management, or something like that?

Either way, change that, and see if you have any luck.

9. demo.ckp

demo.ckp Pen Pal - Newbie

After install AMD drivers go to Video Properties - Screen Saver - Power

change POWER SCHEME for Minimal Power Management

sorry for my ugly english!!!

10. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

did you give k10stat a try?

after a lot playing around with that I now have mine running at 1.7 ghz at .8 v most of the time (under heavy load it switches back to 2.1 ghz but at only 1.375 v)

the only problem I have with this program is that I have to restart the pc to play games, but overall I think the performance loss is less than the gain in lifetime usage and temperature drops.
    -Tyler

even then, some of my games still frame skip more than usual (after a restart)... but they're all (still) really playable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.