TX2500 Weird Display Problems

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by sieepiestangel, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sieepiestangel

sieepiestangel Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I had this tablet for about 2 years, and everything has been working perfectly until a couple of days ago. When I turn on the tablet, 4 out of 5 times, I'll get a messed up looking display. The "HP" logo will be fragmented, in 3 pieces, nothing will look straight, I'll have broken text all over the place. After forcing the tablet off, and restarting a couple of times, it will finally load up normal. I am using Windows 7 64bit. Does anyone know if this is a driver problem?

2. Ackers

Ackers Pen Pal - Newbie

Most likely it's the solder(lead free) around the GPU.
    It won't make a good conection the older(more heat) the tablet gets.

Same as the TX1000 (NVIDIA GPU)

3. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

GPU is going bad. You could try the oven method to reflow the solder. Google GPU baking: for the various methods. Or you can buy a motherboard off ebay or from HP parts.

4. sieepiestangel

sieepiestangel Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the help guys. I just spent about 3 hours taking apart the motherboard, baking the motherboard, and putting it back in. Everything is working perfectly now, however I have 3 "extra" screws, but whatever, the system is running perfectly.

5. fatpanda

fatpanda Pen Pal - Newbie

I had this problem as well. I pressed the "JKL" keys and my screen came back to normal. A temporary fix I suppose.

Edit: The screen problem came back. I ended up using a hair dryer and heating up the GPU for a few minutes. My screen is now working again.

6. XMDJesse

XMDJesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a problem just like this - the fragmented logo, and the distorted display. However, recently it's gotten even worse and now there's not even a legible logo. There's just a bunch of rapidly flickering random colors spewing across my screen.

I tried the blow dryer method and it actually works great, but it's temporary. I'm sure I have this same problem but I'm not too confident with popping my mobo in the oven.

I talked to HP and they want $400 to completely fix everything for me or $270 for me to try to do it myself.

What should I do?

7. fatpanda

fatpanda Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey XMDJesse, I have talked to HP as well, and they also wanted $400 to replace the motherboard. I don't think our computers are worth that repair.

When you used the blow dryer method did you blow dry the actual GPU on the underside of the board? I ask this because I know in the faq there is a tutorial where a member heats a component on the topside of the board. The actual GPU is on the bottom of the board next to the processor.

As for what you should do, I'd say try the repair again. But...

Make sure the following three items are addressed:

1. Baked motherboard or Heat up GPU using a hair dryer or lamp. I used a hair dryer on high for about 10 minutes. Truthfully, I do not think baking the motherboard is reall necessary.

2. Add a copper shim between the GPU and the heat sink. On the forum I read of members using a filed down penny. If you do use a penny, use an older penny as newer penny contains less copper. You can search penny year copper percentages on google.

You can also cut a piece of copper and make your own shim. On ebay there is someone, hopefully a forum member, selling copper shims for our computers. The copper shims he/she sells comes with dimensions .75" by .75", and .049" thick. If you can cut a piece of copper around these dimensions you should be fine.

The copper shim is probably the most important part of the repair. From what I have noticed, I believe the culprit of our problems is the thermal pad connecting the GPU to the heat sink. As the the thermal pad gets older, it softens. The high temperutures we experience with these laptops is to blame.

Now that the thermal pad is old and softer, the GPU is able to move slightly and drop down with gravity. That slight drop is enough to weaken the connection between the GPU and motherboard and causes the screen to glitch and fragment.

When I had the fragmenting screen problem, I noticed I could run my computer upside down and it would work perfectly fine. I would speculate that the GPU seated itself back into place on the motherboard.

Adding a copper shim prevents the GPU from moving with gravity.

3. Finally, Use a good thermal paste when installing the heat sink back onto the board. In the FAQ section there is a tutorial, you can look at, where a gentlemen used Artic Sliver 5. You can get a small tube of Artic Sliver 5 for around $10.

If you addressed the three items above your computer will work normally. I did the repair a few weeks ago and I have yet to see any problems.

I hope this helps.

8. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

A dell I have worked on did this once.

turns out the ram wasn't bad, but the socket that the ram plugged into was bad.

try doing a memory test before you do anything crazy,
    -Tyler