tx2500 w/ BD-ROM?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Jor-dan, Nov 11, 2008.

1. tahoe916

tahoe916 Pen Pal - Newbie

Aye, exactly as he said. There is a program called AnyDVD..and I believe they have a Blu ray product as well that will strip the protection, but the problem with Blu Rays is that the format is always changing and upgrading, hence the want/need for Blu Ray players with net connections for firmware upgrades. They can change the CP on you really quickly and just upgrade the players and break your hack.

Its really just not worth it with this laptop. MAYBE a 17" tru-bright or even a smaller laptop with a HDMI out, but this laptop,unfortunately has neither of those.

Not worth the money and hassel. Get a PS3, best BR player on the market for the money, and you can play games to boot.

2. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

ok I can understand not being able to send out HDCP through VGA, but regardless, my tx2500 is HDCP, otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch 720p... the ATI Radeon HD3200 is HDCP.

3. tahoe916

That is correct, your chipset, IGP and the tablet's screen are HDCP so you can watch 720p blu rays on the laptop, but not on an external monitor. Which is what I was saying before, watching 720p videos on a 21.1" screen that is also grainy as this one is really isn't worth the money to me, it won't look that much better than DVD's, especially not for the cost.

4. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

which brings me back to me question, Where Does It Specifically Say That The Screen Is HDCP Compatiable ?

we know the HD3200 is beacuse amd/ati specificaly state it in their datasheets, but HP says nothing about HDCP in any of its spec sheets.

HDCP only applies to Blu-Ray or the now defunct HD-DVD, you can watch any H.264 or WMVHD stream 1080p (or otherwise) stream (obv downscaled back to 1280x800) to you hearts delight no problem.

I will admit most of this argument is moot, but I would be kiind of nice to have a portable blu ray player... and while blu-ray protection does get updated, I dont think the HDCP does at all. Its not like we want to copy the disc just play it. so I dont think the hack really needs to be updated at all for this perpose.

5. tahoe916

I just verified that I can play 720p HDDVD movies on my TX2500z using my external HDDVD player.

6. dwolf123

dwolf123 Pen Pal - Newbie

you could probably convert the video into a lower resolution to output on analog but whats the point if you want a BD drive than there has to be a digital output whether its HDMI or DVI just to get the 1080p on an external monitor, but spec wise it could handle besides hp didnt have the Radeon HD built in for nothing right

7. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

I know for a fact the tx25xx series hardware does support Blu-ray drives. However, I'm not sure if the display does. It shouldn't have an issue playing the movies with the proper software. Although you may need to output the video externally to get the desired effect.

8. tahoe916

^ You must've not read through all that haha. Thats the point, once you output a Blu Ray movie it gets downgraded to DVD quality. So its pointless. HP infinte wisdom in not including an HDMI connector.

9. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

Ah well, the tx3xxx series will be out next year, eSATA and HDMI are coming. Although, I still say with the proper software you could pull off the desired effect. Its just a matter of the software actually existing.