tx2500 w/ BD-ROM?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Jor-dan, Nov 11, 2008.

1. dwolf123

dwolf123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Try using the BD Advisor from Cyberlink and see what kind of results you get out I also think the drive is not proprietary but, only the front plate of it check this out on eBay still rather expensive though Sata Blu-Ray Drive

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd like the option to use Blu-Ray as much as just simply the ability to play them as much as expecting increased quality... I've got a PS3 that plays them, but nothing else that does so I still buy DVD's... if my laptop and tablet played them, I'd be much more inclined to purchase BluRays over DVD's because then I'd be able to actually use them in my devices... that's why I want one. The improved resolution (however marginal or great) would simply be gravy. That's why I want one.

3. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

that's exactly it. Why would I buy DVDs if I'm going to build a Blu-ray collection? It'd be silly to need DVDs just for the laptop (thank goodness for iTunes!!)

So, when bd-rom slim drives drop to below 300, I'll consider it.

Right now, full-size desktop bd-roms are about $150. It can't be too far off. 6 months?

4. pff1029

pff1029 Scribbler - Standard Member

The option world surely be nice for output to a TV, but I don't see a reason to have BD with a screen as subpar as the tx models have.

5. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

As I mentioned above, it'd be huge to me simply to be able to play them period

6. tahoe916

tahoe916 Pen Pal - Newbie

As you stated before the screen is only 720p, but also you can only do video out with VGA and an S-Video cable, neither of which fit the HDCP bill as they are both Analog connections and you HAVE to have a digital connection in order to pass the HDCP signal to the monitor and back to the computer to verify the signal. So even buying a super cheap BD-ROM would be a complete waste of money cause you'd never be able to play them in 1080p to a monitor or TV. I guess if you wanted to watch 720p on this crappy screen you could.

As stated before the 780G platform (our mobo chipset, processor and IGP) are all suited quite well for HD playback, however you'll never be watching 1080p content from this laptop because of HP's cost cutting. Why they didnt put an HDMI connector on this machine will baffle me until the day I eBay it =)

7. Jor-dan

you can't output HDCP over the VGA port? That's odd... As far as Ive been informed, it works fine... It just takes a little extra CPU power to convert the signal.

8. tahoe916

tahoe916 Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately no, you need a digital connection for HDCP, there's no communication between the display and the source in an analog setup which is required for HDCP. If you were to hook it up to your TV with the VGA port the software you are playing the blu-ray with will downconvert to DVD quality and you'll be back where you started, and out a bunch of money for nothing. ;)

Here it is directly from the HDCP site:

So in a nutshell, if you want to watch 720p Blu-Ray movies on this grainy, small 12.1" screen for hundreds of dollars in drive and discs, go right a head. Just make sure that you know what you are getting and aren't going to enjoy it on your TV.

9. Jor-dan

it says right there in that quote that the receiver, aka in this instance as the Monitor or TV, must have a DVI or HDMI input. What would happen, in theory, if I rigged an adapter to go from a VGA port on a HDCP laptop to the HDMI port on an HDCP tv or monitor?

10. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

A HDCP laptop will not have a VGA out, period, it will have a DVI (can support HDCP) or HMDI out (will support HDCP).
    Its not that VGA can't output HD content, its part of the bluray and hdcp specification that you need this silly handshake protocall for full 1080p content. no amount of adapters and converters will help.

However its not *impossible* to output 1080p bluray content over vga, its just the legality is somwhat dubious.