tx2500 VGA port.

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by lexcavaj, Dec 2, 2008.

1. lexcavaj

lexcavaj Pen Pal - Newbie

i bought a new hd tv (ln22a450) and bought a vga cable (M/M) to be able to connect my tx2510ca to the tv. surprisingly, i can only clone my monitor with an 800x600 resolution. why so? i was expecting at least a 1024x768 output. i know my tv supports 1024x748 resolution because i've checked its specs before buying it... this only leads me to 3 questions: (1)is my new tv not working properly? (2) is there something wrong with my laptop configuration? or (3)am i using a wrong cable? (whats xga anyway?)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. chihping

chihping Pen Pal - Newbie

don't use clone, output exclusively to the tv, and change it to 1360 x 768, it will look much much better. You should be able to do this in the catalyst control panel. XGA is just the name for the resolution, 1024x768. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGA

Hope that helps!

3. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

Ya, don't use clone. Extend your desktop or output exclusively to the screen. 1360x768 should be a capable resolution.

4. lexcavaj

thanks very much for your replies! actually, i tried extending my monitor before but failed because i had zero knowledge about that but now i was able to tweak some settings and finally i was able to do it. too bad though, there was no option for a 1360x768 resolution. the best i can get is a 1280x1024 at 60hz. there was an option till 1600x1200 but my screen says its not supported so i am stuck with the 1280x1024. i have also noticed that the quality of the video on my hdtv is kinda low (looks like a crt). could the quality of the vga cable be a big factor? my cable is like 15ft long. (long story why.. hehe..)

5. chihping

Yes, a long vga cable can be a factor, but just keeping it away from power cords as much as possible should be okay. You should be able to force/add the resolution in the catalyst panel. The reason the quality is low is because the lcd is not operating at native res, so it has to rescale the image internally, which can vary due to the quality of the chip inside your TV. Sorry I just sent in my laptop to HP today so can't get you a screenshot. Hope I got you off to a start. Otherwise maybe someone else can pick it up from here :D

6. lexcavaj

omg you are exactly right! i unplugged my laptop at whoala, no more interrupting lines!!! now, to forcce the resolution, how exactly do i do that? can i type in the number??

7. tahoe916

tahoe916 Pen Pal - Newbie

Try downloading something like Powerstrip to force resolutions.

8. chihping

Weird. I think that may be a software/ati powerplay issue then :eek: since the power cable plugs in on the opposite side of the vga cable and shouldn't be causing that much interference. You should be able to keep it plugged in while getting a good picture.

For changing resolution right click on desktop-> click catalyst control panel -> display? and it should be somewhere in there.

9. lexcavaj

thanks. well, thats what i have been doing the whole time but i still cant find 1360x768 even if i force it. hmm.. i guess this is okay, i dont wanna push it. maybe the info from the site wasnt really accurate (because i am running 1280x1024 on my hd tv but the info from the site didnt show that). besides, i primarily use my hdtv for my ps3 and not to often w/ my laptop. hehe.