Tx2500 UK

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Craig12, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ROGUEx360

ROGUEx360 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, I hear your point about the warranty, and it is kinda of a worry. My other quibble with the US vs UK models is that the UK version does not have built in Bluetooth, except for the 2600 which HP no longer list on their site and I have not seen for sale anywhere.

Is it possible to buy the A/B/G/N Wifi Card with Bluetooth that is fitted in the US 2500z laptops and fit it into a UK TX2500 model?

Perhaps if this is possible, I will go for the 2.2Ghz UK TX2500ea and sacrifice the 200Mhz.
    Will this mean I'd get longer battery life and have less heat issues, or are the heat issues related to the Graphics chips?

2. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

There will be a way, but it's a moot point: opening the machine up to fit the card will also void the warranty.

You could, however, buy something like this. It'll mean losing a USB port, but 2 will do most people for most of the time, and it's titchy enough to not pose many problems.

I'm not sure about battery life, there's bound to be some kind of effect, but it's likely to be pretty small.

And yeah, the heat issues are mainly to do with the graphics chip. I doubt downgrading to a 2.2GHz will affect it much.

If you do buy it from the UK, just remember to use a 10% discount code! ;)

3. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

Im sure they will finally bring out the tx2650 sooner or later if you wait long enough.

Opening the wifi card bay wont void the warrenty, havn't had any silly rules like that for ages now. the broadcom cards are a little dodgy however so you are better off with the USB mini dongle.

Personally Ive always found bluetooth on computers far more hassel then its worth, fine for phones and pdas when you're on the move but ive always found it quicker to plug a cable in, then to turn bluetooth on and connect the devices and then charge the damn things when the run out of power, esp since nearly everything can charge off a usb port these days...

4. ROGUEx360

ROGUEx360 Pen Pal - Newbie

Dammit, this is just making my decision harder. If I get the faster one, it's from America so no warranty, but it has Bluetooth. If I get a UK model, it's slower, still just as hot, and no Bluetooh, but has warranty.
    I'm not sure I could live without Bluetooth, and would much prefer it built in, but is this laptop really bad enough that I would need the warranty?
    I've had my current one 3 years and it's only just begun to go faulty now.

Hmm, this decision will take more thought, maybe I will end up with a completely different laptop, the Dell XPS M1330 looks tempting, although there are some things about that I don't know if I could live with...

EDIT: Didn't see Robtangs post when I wrote this, maybe I will try to put the Bluetooth Wifi card into a TX2550ea if I can get the right one. Does anyone know which component it is? I have a phone and a PDA which I sync via Bluetooth, and when I'm the move, I don't want to be carrying round multiple cables. The USB Bluetooth dongle would be a last resort, I have used them before, and never found them very good.
    Can't find any info on a TX2650 model at the moment, even through google, and the HP website no longer lists the 2600, only the 2500.

5. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh, my bad. I didn't think HP would be that lenient.

The BT module isn't actually part of the Broadcom card. Have people been having problems with BT in paticular, or just the wireless?

Looking at the service manual it looks like installing it is a pig though: you have to remove the hard drive, optical drive, keyboard, switch cover, display and the top cover...(although this might be HP bureaucracy.)

6. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

@ROGUEx360 - I share your frustration re. lack of Bluetooth, seems really silly it wasn't even an option in the UK. I went with a BlueNEXT mini USB dongle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlueNext-Su...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223722269&sr=1-7) and have found it works perfectly. Yes, it's annoying to use up a USB port but I just let Vista handle the drivers and can use dial-up networking to my SE K850i for mobile broadband without a problem -for the sake of a fiver I think it's a good deal.

Cheers

Alan