Tx2500 UK

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Craig12, Jun 16, 2008.

1. drentsoft

drentsoft Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know if this is still useful but the tech support number I found was:

08443690369 which I believe is local rate. Hope this helps. Sorry if it doesn't.

Also, are you trying to get it to create a recovery disc as a hard copy to keep in case the laptop completely dies or because you want to reinstall Vista? If its to reinstall Vista you can press F11 when the laptop first turns on to access the HDD version.

2. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

OK, I finally got mine yesterday, and I'm using it now (handwriting recognition Ftw!).

Im going to play about with it for a wee bit and then I'll come back and tell you what I think.

3. Art

So I've had a few days to play with it and here's a short rundown:

Included in the TX2550ea box are:

• TX2550ea with 2.2GHz CPU, 320GB HDD and 3GB RAM.
    • A single stylus, with spare nibs and a nib remover.
    • Media remote, which fits into the Expresscard34 slot. (Some people said they didn't get a battery with theirs, but I got one!)
    • A lint-free cloth to wipe fingerprints off the lid.
    • A power adaptor.
    • A neoprene slip case.
    • Both a 4 cell and an 8 cell battery.
    • Manual, guides, quickstart guides, etc.

The thing is bogged down with bloatware. CPU use at idle sometimes peaked as high as 100% for no apparent reason, and was regularly over 33%. It's stuffed with a Norton trial, a MS Office trial, lots of silly HP games, and lots of HP system/advice/help software. This all makes it pretty sluggish. A fresh format and update fixes that, though you'll want to follow Scotchtapeloser's guide to the letter.

The build quality is a bit better than I thought it would be, but I deliberately a low-expectation approach. The keys are nice and big, but silvery plastic is bound to wear after a while and it feels clicky and it's a bit noisy. The stylus is cheapness personified though: it feels relatively fragile and the side button is annoying. It's about a centimetre and a half long but you have to push the front half of the button to get it to work. There's also quite a bit of give in the rubber, so you might have to press quite hard to get it to register. The machine itself isn't anything like rugged, but if you treat it properly it'll be fine. It is fairly heavy though, I wouldn't want it cradled in my arm if I were standing for long. The hinge feels sturdy though, and the screen image is quick to rotate.

The screen isn't as bad as some people make out. The viewing angles aren't great, and there is a bit of graininess to it, but I'd say it's acceptable. I wouldn't want it any worse, though. If you think this might be a problem head down to PCWorld or something, and ask if you can see a model on display.

The heat isn't much of an issue, but I think there's a major design flaw here: the air intakes are on the *bottom* of the machine, through which you can see the RAM and a few other components. This means if you sit it directly on your lap (you know, like the name "laptop" implies) you block the air intakes! Other laptops have two sets of vents on the side, one for intake, one for output, and whoever thought to break the trend needs a kick. As long as you keep the vents on the bottom and the output vents on the rear right clear though, heat isn't a problem. The fan is usually quiet too.

I haven't really messed around with the remote much, but I was gobsmacked to discover that you can use it to power the machine on and off. This is a nifty (but gimmicky?) feature, although it worries me slightly because it implies that there are IR circuits inside the machine that are on and drawing power even when you've shut the thing down, and I hate that kind of thing. If I turn it off, I want it off. Having dedicated volume up/down/mute buttons is nifty and saves messing with function-F key shortcuts, and the quickbuttons around the side are handy. It's disappointing that you can't program them though, so they're locked to what HP set them to(HP Quickyplay, HP DVD Quickplay, Windows mobility centre and screen rotate).

Overall, I haven't any major complaints about the machine itself. It's pretty much exactly what I thought it'd be: A machine geared more for style than ruggedness, with budget building in mind but relatively decent specs. It's pushed as an entertainment PC and that's exactly what it is, don't get the impression it's designed for business/classroom note taking just because it's a convertible tablet. The few drawbacks I've mentioned are off-balanced by the spec and the price in my mind. The biggest drawback is dealing with HP, but then I'm sure everyone knows that already. To get the best out of it though, you'll want to format it and customize the OS a lot, which might put off less tech-savvy users.

In short:

PRO: Cheap for the spec, comes with 2 batteries, easy on the eyes, full of features like the webcam/fingie reader etc.

CONS: Drowning in bloatware, poorly though out ventilation, tacky keyboard, flashy entertainment PC masquerading as a proper tablet. Screen quality leaves something to be desired.

Other comments: There really should be a Bluetooth option, does not come with FireWire, even though the HP site advertises it.

If HP could sort out the screen and keyboard I'd say this would be a great buy for someone on a budget. By far and away the most disappointing thing is the treatment we've got from HP.

4. tempusername

tempusername Pen Pal - Newbie

I have got mine too and I agree everything Art mentions.

-I used to have a Toshiba Tecra M4 and the stylus button problem was exactly the same on that one too, I don't know about the new models.

-I have another problem. My wireless doesn't work well. It connects with a limited connection. Every time, I need to change the encryption setting on the router. This might be because of the router, maybe I need to update firmware but there isn't any update now, it is 2.5 years old.

I tried to install latest (!!!) drivers from HP web site and saw that those are not up to date. I couldn't install wireless driver, I couldn't find broadcom drivers.

-The restore DVD creation is impossible to finish. I spent hours and ~5 DVDs and every time it gave me an error. I tried safe mode too. It didn't work. I will request a set of DVDs free of charge. We will see.

-Tecra M4 has got 3-4 buttons on the corner of the screen and you can use them as
    .CTRL+ALT+DEL
    .Escape button
    .Screen rotator (which works perfectly with accelerator)
    .MOUSE (or arrow keys) - This is the best part.

In tx2550 if you rotate the screen you can not adjust the volume or use arrow keys. This is annoying.

tx2550 has got accelerator too I guess but I couldn't see it's working.

-If you look at the HP web site firewire is explicitly written there and I will ask them about it because I need it to connect an external hard drive.

-It sometimes loses its calibration I couldn't get it why but I will let you know if I can.

I have been playing with it around and I am quite happy for a £600-£700 tablet pc. If you want to buy a Dell or Thinkpad it costs a fortune which is ridiculous.

That's all for know.

PS:
    Do you have any problem with wireless connections? My router is a Speedtouch 716

Take care!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Art

I've no problems with wireless, I was actually surprised how easily it connected. Must be your router.

It worked fine for me, but took a while. What's the error you're getting?

Do you mean an accelerometer? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have one.

6. miz

miz Pen Pal - Newbie

hi, i just wanted to know if any1 has any recent discount codes for hp. thanks

7. tempusername

-Wireless Problem: It should be my router, you are right about that.
    -Restore discs: I called HP support they will send me one they even didn't ask any questions about the application or configuration or whatever, they just said if you cannot create restore discs and since you bought it very recently (I don't know if this is a favour) we will send you a set of discs. Hopefully I will receive them.
    -Accelerometer:
    I meant that, sorry. I have read in one of the forums that tx2500 has got accelerometer in it.

8. tempusername

9. miz

miz Pen Pal - Newbie

hi, does any1 know the difference between the tx2500 and the tx2600? i saw the tx2600 on the hp website. thanks

10. tempusername

The only difference from my tx2550ea is the bluetooth. Regarding to the grphics card, on the badge which was on the side of the box it says my tx2550ea came with HD3200 with 64MB memory, but I couldn't see it anywhere on the system, e.g. catalyst centre or whatever it is.
    So the only difference is bluetooth. They have also removed the IEEE 1394 firewire port (reasonable since they don't provide it anyway, they just mislead the customers).