Tx2500 UK

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Craig12, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

Just my luck: a phonecall to CityLink and I hear that my machine is now "listed as missing", i.e. somebody has nicked it.

Egads. I think it's just not meant to be between me and this thing...

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow! Haven't heard "egads" in years! Who says the English language is dead?!

I would agree you're having a run of bad luck, but there are lots of others on here having the same kind of experience!

Anyway I hope you get your machine in due course. I think I might have to go for the HP (over the T5010 as it's so much dearer) so I'll probably be in the same boat quite soon.

3. Art

How far could you stretch for a T5010, and for what specs? The only models I can find are ~£1500 for maxed out 2.8GHz models, but I've been reliably informed that the CPU will be going down as far as 2.2GHz. I was quoted a skim under £1300 for a 2.4GHz, so if you could stretch to £1200 you might be in luck.

The TX is cheaper, but I'm pretty sure the build and screen quality won't be as good.

4. Supersonic

Supersonic Scribbler - Standard Member

The only ones I've seen are at bestbrands at £1299 or £1399 for outside screen/slightly bigger HDD.

That's still £640 dearer than a TX2550 with the 15% discount voucher. In fact I could almost buy two and just keep a spare! The Fujitsu is acknowledged as being first class build quality but the price is simply too high (or the HP is too low, I guess). You get a slightly larger screen, no Broadcom "rubbish" as I read here quite often.

If it came down to £1100 I'd go for it due to the indoor/outdoor larger screen and the better hinge mechanism. At the moment though, I've two choices: wait for a price drop or pull the trigger on a TX.

I guess I could always e-bay it if the T5010 came down.

I really hope you guys with the TXs can find time to post back your thoughts on the machine when you have them. I'm sure there are lots of people like me, indecisive lurkers with some money to spend....

5. rusty_shackleton

rusty_shackleton Pen Pal - Newbie

supersonic - im loving it... didnt appreciate the 2 month wait, but the laptop itself is great, the only problems are matters of personal preference and so ive spent a lot of time tampering with settings, but thats just a matter of getting my laptop to the same way my desktop is run - exactly as i want it with the least amount of M$ bulls*it as possible :)

6. tempusername

tempusername Pen Pal - Newbie

When I ordered the processor was ZM-86 2.4 Ghz and now they try to send it with a lower model.

I sent them a screenshot I took on the 13th of July showing the processor speed as 2.4 Ghz.

I haven't heard from them yet.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Additionally, I searched the internet and found something interesting. Here you can find the ISO9001 certificate of HP:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/EMEA ISO 9001-2000 certificate.pdf

This means that they have to have reasonable processes to deal with customers in the listed locations within the scope which is like below:

"The design, development, manufacturing, marketing, sales, delivery, service and support of the complete range of IT solutions within Europe, the Middle East and Africa"

The certificate is from BSI (British Standards Institution) in UK. As an addition to other actions we can also raise a collective and formal complaint to BSI saying that they don't deal with our complaints and it is against the requirement of the certification.

:rolleyes:

7. Art

I've heard nothing official/solid yet, but from the complaining I've been doing there's been the suggestion that they'll give me something free from the accessories range.

Clearly, I'm such a whinge bag.

8. tempusername

tempusername Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, I can't say NO to a compensation (I prefer a partial refund). Because if I would have bought it with this processor (2.2 Ghz) probably it would have been, lets say, £50 less.

9. Art

You could always ask them. Hell, I'm tempted to ask them for a refund on the postage seeing as it A) took so long and B) got stolen first time around anyway. :rolleyes:

If you don't ask you'll never know!

10. drentsoft

drentsoft Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I thought I'd post my experiences with the TX2550 so far. I ordered mine on the third of August and finally got it on Monday (I know I haven't been waiting as long as some of the rest of you) only to find myriad problems. First off I bought it as a replacement to the TX2130 which I bought a few weeks before but had to return it as it refused to play media smoothy (which for an entertainment laptop is just stupid) and I figured while it might just be a dodgy unit I may have better luck with a higher spec model.

The problems with the 2550:

1 - Minor aesthetic things (make it seem like it was built in a hurry/refurbished model) - Scratch on the inside corner of the screen casing and the keyboard surround doesn't seem to quite fit into place on the left side (bearing in mind I had neither of these problems with the 2130)

2 - Audio still plays jerkily for a few seconds at random intervals (I've heard this is possibly a Vista driver problem but its still not really acceptable on an "Entertainment PC")

3 - Hundreds of errors in the event viewer, 231 as of writing this (which in 2 days is pretty darn impressive)

4 - DVD drive vibrates like a rabbit on steroids trying to break free of its mortal shell with some DVDs and not with others (originally I thought this was a problem with the DVDs being mis-weighted but it started doing it with DVDs that were originally OK and none of them do the same thing in any other DVD drive)

5 - Twice so far the screen, in slate mode has just gone all higgledy like a really old broken console and a reboot is needed.

6 - One completely random reboot. (This may be a problem with the new ATi card as I had years of this happening on my old laptop and a fair bit of experience of this with my desktop 2900 HD but its too soon to say)

7 - Lots of application hanging when BLService.exe is open (Google it, very interesting....)

8 - Minor thing, the battery doesn't last nearly as long as the TX2130, 4-5 hours as opposed to 5-6 hours on the 2130 (using both batteries sequentially), understandable I guess as its a more powerful machine but still a bit disappointing. The 2130 ran for about 1 hour 30 to 2 hours on the 4-cell and 3 hours 30 to 4 hours on the 8-cell.

9 - Even more HP bloatware, the majority of which seems to be un-uninstallable

10 - Might be my imagination but the pen/touch mode seem more jittery than the previous one, as in the pen gets overruled by your hand on the screen.

11 - A while back in this thread there was debate whether it was a 2.4GHz, whether it had firewire and whether it had bluetooth. I haven't read everything on this thread, just things to get the gist of developments but I thought I'd definately confirm: 2.2GHz, no Firewire and no Bluetooth (which I find odd as the 2130 had bluetooth so why would they take it out?)

Now the good things:

1 - It actually plays games whereas the TX2130 didn't (although with the ocassional audio glitch and possible visual slow down when the audio glitches).

2 - They've fixed it so that out of the box it goes into secondary landscape orientation rather than Primary Portrait.

3 - It is very fast.... when its working.

Basically I'm going to give HP one more go by asking for a replacement to see if all the crashes and stuff are just hardware problems otherwise I shall ask for a full refund. Bearing in mind I was already going against my principles of not buying HP after I saw my friends' HP laptops and desktops and how bad they were but I figured it had been about 5 years since I last saw a bad one and that maybe they'd improved. I think I may have been wrong and if thats the case how does Dreamworks (who famously use HP stuff as workstations etc) get anything done??

I apologise if this seemed like a rant/overly critical but I feel it may help people form useful opinions as to whether to order a new one, keep or cancel their current order and after the great reviews the TX2130 seemed to receive I am rather disappointed to find the whole series to be so problematic. I do seem to have a dead-on-arrival jinx (my Xbox broke in 12 days) though but its still not great :).

I also believe that its not unreasonable for a user to expect their brand new PC to work more or less perfectly (nothing that couldn't be fixed with a quickly released driver update) without having to close built-in applications or uninstall all of the bloatware.

Thanks for your time and I shall update you all (if you want) on developments with the replacement.