Tx2500 UK

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Craig12, Jun 16, 2008.

1. rusty_shackleton

rusty_shackleton Pen Pal - Newbie

To be fair though, the problem getting the processors is beyond HP's control, and HP havent lied about the processor.

Yes, they should have kept us better informed, but other than that they haven't actually been that bad.

You know what, bollocks to that, they did **** - but i like the laptop, very nice indeed... it also seems theyve sorted the extreme processor heat problem, ive had it on my lap for bout 2 hours installing stuff and its not really that hot.

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm going to pop down to PC World and take a look at one.

I did also try googling for a laptop demo/hire firm, so I could try a few different ones before deciding, but drew a blank.

I wonder if the distance selling regulations apply to laptops. Perhaps I could just order a few and return the ones I didn't like.

If all the folks with TX25xx tablets were giving them glowing reviews it would be simpler - but there are a bunch of issues on the hardware pages (as you probably know), ranging from crackling sound to BSODs/freezes etc. Some of this goes with the territory of PCs, but I've had two laptops (not tablets) through work, first a Fujitsu and second a Thinkpad. The only problem I ever had was with the Thinkpad BSODing and resetting itself every now and again.

If money were no object I'd go for the Fujitsu, but that's sadly not the case (have given up my IT job to go back to university in a few weeks).

3. HellloAST

HellloAST Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received mine, looks pretty good: screen is bright, keyboard responds well. I would like the mouse buttons to be a bit wider.

I looked at HP System Information (in Start menu, All Programs/HP). On the "Hewlett Packard" page, the warranty start date is shown to be one day after the date of purchase, which is 9th of August for me. Does this mean that I have literally lost one whole month of warranty because of HP's delays? :eek:

4. Supersonic

Supersonic Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder if that date coincides with the date the payment was made? There's a point at which ownership of the goods transfers to the customer - usually on successful delivery. I'd take that up with them, as it doesn't seem right - to me anyway.

5. monkey2nut

monkey2nut Pen Pal - Newbie

Called HP today to chase my order. Delivery is held up due to stock issues with the docking station that I ordered with the tablet. (doh!) :mad:

6. rusty_shackleton

supersonic i know that larger currys digital stores on highstreets had the 2000 series on display - and they are identical on the outside to the 2500's.

I'm extremely impressed with the tablet functionality of the 2550 - ive disabled touchscreen other than with the pen for 2 reasons though:

- firstly im using microsoft onenote which disables touchscreen in favour of pen when the pen is close to the screen, however my hand is always touching the screen before the pen is in range and consequently i had problems there.
    - secondly the pen doesnt leave grubby marks on the screen - if my fingers wont do anything im not gonna poke the screen lol.

Im amazed at the handwriting recognition - no training required and very accurate. Found it much easier to use once id disabled the touchscreen in favour of the pen.

I strongly recommend the first thing you do is go into add/remove programs (or whatever its called now in vista) and get rid of almost everything HP have loaded - starting with the scourge of pc's everywhere - Norton provirus. Get AVG, its free, and doesnt bog down your brand spanking new system.

Complaints about the screen being textured are accurate, but i dont see what the problem is, it doesnt causes any problems with the display of photos/videos, but some people are picky - take a look at a display model in currys/pc world to see if its going to be a problem for you.

One complaint - the mini remote does not come with the battery required! :( anyone whos got it know what size battery it is so i can get one? lol

EDIT - the battery for the remote is a 'CR2016'

7. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

Weird - my 2530 came with a battery in it, I just had to remove a protective plastic sleeve.

Agree re. touch vs pen input - I've installed the TouchControl applet on startup so disable touch screen (although I can just double-click it in the taskbar to reactivate).

8. HellloAST

HellloAST Pen Pal - Newbie

I called HP's warranty support line. Got redirected no less than 3 times to different people to whom I had to explain the story from the beginning. Finally, the third person lodged what he said is a "formal complaint", and that customer service will get back to me on this... lets see.

Has anyone else who ordered the tx2550ea a month or more back checked their warranty start date in HP System Information? I just want to know whether I am the only one who has lost a month of warranty because of HP's delays. :(

9. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll let you know when (if?) I actually get mine. It was last scanned by CityLink at 9pm on Friday at the collection branch, and hasn't been seen since even though it was due yesterday.

Nice to see that HP have removed the TX2600 from their site. Unless the idiots put it back it probably was just a mistake. They still haven't sorted out the price/hardware disparity between the 2550 and the 2540 yet. £30 more for 70GB less hard drive space? Yes, that makes lots of sense... :rolleyes:

10. rusty_shackleton

the only way that would make sense is if the lower capacity HDD was 7200rpm rather than 5400rpm - a lot of laptop manufacturers offer that, but its unusual to see a 7200 rpm of 250gb in a laptop... very unusual.