Tx2500 UK

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Craig12, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

Not impressed with HP - still haven't replied to my e-mail! Ended up calling them today (found 01344 360000 from SayNoTo0870 rather than paying a fortune on my mobile!) - the chap in sales said the other models (ie. apart from the TX2530EA) aren't due out until the end of August at the earliest. He wasn't able to give any indicative pricing.

Now I'm left swithering! I've currently got the TX1030EA and would really like the active touchscreen capability. I think increased in speed (1.6 to 2.1Ghz) and HDD space (120 to 250GB) would be welcome too, but a bit annoyed by the possible lack of Bluetooth. I don't suppose anyone in the UK has received their one yet and confirm/deny this?

Just not sure I can resist 10% off plus Quidco discount!

Cheers

Alan

2. Craig12

Craig12 Pen Pal - Newbie

I phoned up their information and sales department. They said some of the specifications might be out earlier but the tx2550 (the one with the 2.4 GHz processor) won't be out until close to the end of the year.

I need my laptop within the next 4 weeks so this information sealed the deal with me. I'll buy a 2GB memory module separately and stick it in myself. I won't be too upset by missing the exrta 0.1 or 0.3 GHz hopefully. With some extras my total was just under £600. Origionally I had been willing to pay £650 for the tx2000 (still that price at most places), so I think the tx2500 is quite a good deal..... for the uk.

My estimated delivery time is next thursday or friday. I'm not holding my breath and will keep you updated with any delays.

3. alanjrobertson

Craig - they didn't mention anything about Bluetooth by any chance?

If it doesn't have it (which I seriously hope is just an oversight in the specs - I use it all the time for connecting to my mobile for 3G data!), anyone have any recommendations on really compact Bluetooth dongles?

On the RAM issue - I take it there's not just a slot to add an extra 1GB? Seems a bit of a shame having to take out an existing 1GB to swap for a 2GB but I guess there's always eBay!

PS - I agree re. the extra 0.3GHz being unlikely to make much difference - esp. as I'm sure they'll try and charge disproportionately more for it!

4. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

Craig: Bummer. I agree, the extra GHz won't really matter, but I would have appreciated the extra 80GB HDD space, and don't want to have to splash out on another separate one. I can wait 'till August, but I don't know if I'd want to wait longer. Tsk.

alan: I think this is about as small as you'll get. As for the RAM, the machine will have a certain number of slots (2 I think) for RAM. HP seem to like using small capacity RAM sticks to take up all the slots, so it looks like if you want 4GB you'll have to take out a 1GB and dump it.

5. alanjrobertson

Cheers, Art - that dongle looks impressively small! Here's hoping BT is included anyway - from the full specs page it appears that NONE of the models have it included which I would find a bit weird (mind you they also quote Gigabit ethernet as they did for the TX1030EA and that turned out to be wrong too!).

Shame about the RAM but if I end up buying this one (increasingly likely!) I'll see how it is and consider upgrading.

6. Craig12

Craig12 Pen Pal - Newbie

I never use bluetooth myself so i never thought to ask. I shall inspect it upon arrival.

7. alanjrobertson

I have ended up taking the plunge and placed an order ;-)

£605.13
    - 10% HPQUIDCO voucher
    £544.62
    - 8% Quidco discount
    - 1% egg money cashback
    ---------
    £495.60

Given I paid £1005.95 for my TX1030EA in March 2007 I'm pretty impressed with this price overall. OK so not as good as the USA pricing but we're used to that anyway! Would have preferred one of the slightly higher spec models but realistically the 0.3GHz shouldn't make that much difference (certainly not when the speed is scaled back on battery anyway), I can always upgrade the RAM for a little extra and I've got an external USB HDD anyway!

Cheers :)

8. GadgetMan

GadgetMan Pen Pal - Newbie

I rang the uk pre sales department today regarding when various versions of the tx25x0ea listed on their website will be available. I was told to expect all variants to be released at the same time and its likely to be late July/early august. Then I asked about the tx2530ea as it is the only option you can currently buy. The guy said instead of "normally shipping within 2 weeks" it is more likely to be "not earlier than 2 weeks" which sort of places it in the late july/early august timeframe.

As for the lack of bluetooth on the specification is concerned, he said if it isn't stated then it probably doesn't have it. I personally prefer to take that as he couldn't positively confirm that it doesn't include it.

9. Craig12

Craig12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Lots of contradictory information.

All of the american versions have blue tooth, or so i have read. My order is supposedly going to arive just over a week after being ordered (next weekend, so they say). I was told that the tx2550 is six months away.

How can everybody be getting such different information?

10. alanjrobertson

I remember this confusion with the TX1030 - HP kept making mistakes in their specs list (and still never sorted the Gigabit ethernet confusion). They just seem to be genuinely rubbish at something that should be really quite simple! I'm hopeful Bluetooth will be included - all the TX1000 and TX2000 series had it as far as I remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.