Tx2500 UK

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Craig12, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thelaughingcrow

thelaughingcrow Pen Pal - Newbie

I picked up a TX2500 series laptop whilst in the US before they were out here in the UK.

I unpackaged it and just carried it home with me as if id had it for ages and customs were non the wiser. But if you were to get caught I believe there is an initial import tax of ~ 7% and then VAT at 17.5% added on top. And ontop of that, actually trying to get away with it is probably a "fineable" offense.

And for anyone who's wondering "how would they know where you bought it", they can check using the serial code and asking the manufacturer.

But unless you're the kind of person who always gets stopped....the chances of getting caught if you carry it in a laptop bag are minimal.

2. GadgetMan

GadgetMan Pen Pal - Newbie

What do you mean? What are you basing this on?

There has been conflicting information regarding the processor speed of the tx2550ea for a while now. I have rung HP up twice in the past and they confirmed both times that my order has 2.4GHz processor against it and thats the correct speed. I even have an e-mail confirming this.

3. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

GadgetMan, I'm referring to a post I made a few days back:

I looked this morning and in both places it's now a 2.2GHz processor.

I called up as well and was promised a 2.4, but wasn't sensible enough to get it in writing/email.

See for yourself

EDIT: Price drop? Or is their site just being confusing?

EDIT EDIT: Egads, now I'm confused. The 2.2GHz comment still stands, but if you search "TX2550ea" you get a model at £ 654.47, but if you search using the product code (CJ943EA) exactly the same model comes up for £769.00.

*Cries* I hadn't reliased we were back to the days of 6 models again...

4. J1mmy

J1mmy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thing is that it's getting shipped, I'm not getting it sent to my brother as that was the original plan as he might leave before it gets to him.

The only charge I expect to pay is the VAT and may be some other handling charges, importing and exporting things seems horrible and this is my first time. But I'm happy that I've bought it now, especially seeing the situation here in the UK with the current TX series. If everything turns okay, and I pay the customs what I am supposed to, I would have just paid about £150 or so more to get everything I want in this TX, but of course it's a risk.

5. J1mmy

J1mmy Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received my 2500z yesterday and since then I've been using it and have begun drawing conclusions about the laptop. It's isn't a full blown review just the bad aspects of this machine I noticed.

There's no doubt that fingerprints on both the screen and the laptop itself can be a problem. It even puts me off using the laptop as a tablet just because of it. I have the plaster protective sticker that it comes with still on the back of the lid. I also bought a screen protector but haven't applied it ye. I'm sure that would introduce problems with the touch screen and it may lose it's sensitivity now that it has a fairly thick plasic coating between the pen and the screen.

On one or two occasions it has also frozen which has resulted me to shut it down forcefully using the power switch. When this happens, the fan also maintains it's speed, the whole computer stops responding. I am not sure why this happened, but I've been transferring files to it and using it's resources quite a bit - maybe this might have been the reason.

The screen being grainy is no lie. For those of you who haven't seen a grainy screen before, the best thing to do is to go and see a demo PC at PC World and witness it first hand. If not, just imagine a bit of moist on a screen and pixels and what not become apparent. Grainy screen do not have smooth looking whites and I don't know how I am going to put up with it in software like Word where the entire page is white. It's definitely noticeable.

Another issue with the laptop are it's speakers. As it's classified as an entertainment laptop, I though they would have at least put a bit of thought into the speakers if not the screen, after all it is 12.2". But no, I can't think of anything to compare them with except for my mobile phone or a pair of cheap £3 speakers you could pick up from eBay.

Having said that, you will notice a considerable difference when using Windows Media Player's SRS WOW Effects, but still that enhancement is not available on other software or when playing games. Without it you won't hear any bass, you'll just get a shallow sounds from its weak pair of what HP calls speakers. Oh, and you'll probably get some crackling as well if it doesn't like what you're playing.

Nevertheless, I picked it up for £800, maxed out specs and it only took 3 days to arrive. For those who don't want to wait for HP to sort itself out, I can give you details of the company I bought it from in the US, PM me. He's a nice guy and delivers.

6. GadgetMan

Well well well, it is the 11th and the ETA is still saying the 13th. This is obviously the closest we have got to the estimated date without it being put back for the tx2550ea.

Surely it can't be, ...... could it?

Knowing HP, probably the person who is in charge of keeping the ETA up to date is on holiday/sick. :rolleyes:

7. Art

GadgetMan, you're not supposed to say things like that! :p

I've sent an email asking whether or not we're getting the 2.4GHz processor and I'm waiting for their reply. If I don't get a very good explanation, or if they push the date back again, I'm just going to cancel my order and buy something from somebody else. It's not that I'm impatient, but if they're mucking about this much I'm not sure I really want to be buying their products.

Like you said, the ETA updater is probably pulling a sickie. (That, or they had a nervous breakdown at being asked to recode the TX2500 product page *again*!)

8. GadgetMan

Yes let us know when u get the reply regarding processor speed, I have a nasty feeling it might end up being the 2.2GHz (even though they sent me an e-mail confirming 2.4GHz) as this is the speed they keep ending up with in their specs most of the time. It was also the speed at the time of the order, and I can't believe they will have 2 different specs for the same model number.

9. Art

I really doubt we're getting the 2.4 as well, but that doesn't mean I can't ask for a pretty good explanation of why were were promised it in the first place.

I got a reply this morning, and surprisingly it's not a knock-off automatic reply:

Not that informative, but at least they were kind enough to actually look into it instead of just fobbing me off. Not sure what's with the funky formatting either, but hey.

I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

10. GadgetMan

No e-mail notification so far, so not looking too good for tomorrow's delivery. Maybe like Craig12 stated earlier on in the thread, HP seem to get their delivery on wed/thurs so we might get the email tomorrow and item by friday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.