Tx2500 UK

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Craig12, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J1mmy

J1mmy Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, that's what I was thinking. But I'm worried it might get damaged during transit considering it won't be in any packaging, maybe just some bubblewrap.

He did also tell me that he can decrease the price of the laptop to the threshold where they add VAT, so I won't be charged it, or very little if I was charged. But that's too risky. I'm going to ring HP up and confirm his company information. If I'm going to go ahead with this, I need to know how his warranty is going to be provided I'll also have to pick up a new charger.

2. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

Check in the US threads on the off-hand chance that their models come with the neoprene sleeve the UK models seem to come with. If it's in that and you get him to carry it through hand-luggage it should be OK.

But yeah, you're right to check the warranty. See how that works out first.

3. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Wow, are customs really that bad that if you have a packaged item and you take the plane to another country you will still be taxed? I've never been in a plane, so thats why I ask.

4. Art

I don't know about other countries but the Her Royal Majesty's Customs in the UK are. If the item is over a certain value they'll slap you with all-sorts of taxes.

Post is the worst: if it's business anything over £18 gets 17.5% tax and a handling fee (£8?) added to it. Personal mail can be up to £36.

If you're on holiday you're allowed a couple of hundred quid I think, but that's when the percentages start making pretty big numbers.

5. KwiHa

KwiHa Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Has the PC-World version any Bluetooth?
    It's realy important for me, but it seems the "normal" tx2550ea from hp.co.uk is'nt have bluetooth.

6. Art

Apparently not, no. HP seem to have removed BlueTooth from the TX2500 as standard, which is a real shame, it can't be that expensive to add and it'd be a great feature.

You could always get a micro USB adaptor like this one.

The TX2550ea delivery date is still sitting on the 7th. I think that's the longest it's ever been steady.

*Touch wood*

7. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed - given the 'lesser' TX1000 line had then & the minimal cost difference involved I think they're a bit bonkers not including it (esp. in their 'top of the range' model). I added a BlueNext nano USB module (refernenced in one of my posts above) and it works fine - I'm sure the Hama one Art links to will be fine too. Basically I went for the cheapest nano one I could find on Amazon and bought it! (they all use CSR chips anyway so performance/compatibility is fine - I just used the standard Vista drivers, was very much plug and play).

Fingers crossed for Art and others - hopefully the stable delivery date is a good sign!

8. Art

I'm sure it would, although I just picked it at random from Amazon. I don't know how willing I'd be to use one of my USB ports though. I'm almost half tempted to try opening up the machine when I get it to see if there are any spare USB headers on the motherboard that they didn't use.

9. J1mmy

J1mmy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just spoken to HP, and they told me the following:

• HP do not offer warranty to US customised version of the TX series, they must be repaired and dealt with within the US
    • The current 2250 version is due to be shipped out after the 4th of August
    • There will be no other versions within the the TX series for sometime, so the 2550 will be the highest level laptop until November or so
    • They were unable to give me information of US authorised resellers

Just thought I'd share that information with you... Looks like if I get it from the US I can only get it repaired from there then. My concern was that the screen might develop some issues over the year, it might get lose or something...

10. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Interesting... so not tx3000z until next Spring if what the HP rep said was true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.