Tx2500 UK

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Craig12, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seymor54

seymor54 Pen Pal - Newbie

HP TX2530

Ummmmm...... Just read the threads, and now find I am not the only person totally perplexed by HPs stupidity, lack of clear information, lack of their own product information, etc etc...

anyway here is my story and critic of the TX2350

23rd June spoke to HP Direct to buy a TX2133 and a TX2130
    Was told that they couldn't supply a TX2133, and was advised to buy from misco!!!! as for the TX2130 was told that a newer model TX2530 was availoable.
    On checking the specs on the TX2000/ TX2130 / TX2530 the only difference was on the processor used and the prices... as HP was advertising the TX2000/2130 at £699 whereas the higher spec new model TX2530 was being promoted at £599...

Ummmm a saving of £100 the only difference is the processor... besides HP was offereing a £40 off the price!

So I ordered a TX2530 1Gb of extra memory = 3gb + a trendy HP bluetooth mouse to use with the laptop, after asking if the on-board bluetooth would work with the mouse - I will come to this POINT later - its funny and typical of the problems faced by customers and HP themselves...

Then the FUN began....

I was given a shipping date of the 2nd July, it came and went, I phoned up to be told that shippment was now due 18th!!! nearly a month after I had purchased it.

The Laptop arrived on the 22nd July...

Now the first impressions, after spending an hour to set up vista, so much for pre-installed software, combined with MS multiple updates the Tablet works great... getting used the VISTA is a pain, as its not very easy to use just like all MS software made by geeks for geeks!!! I don't like apple, but they make computers and OS's for users who can just get on with their work without thinking about it!

Build Quality: In comparision with the TX2133, its a childs speak and spell toy computer... Keyboard is tatty and clicky has all the feel that the key pads will fall off. The TX2133 has a 92% sized keyboard, that is designed looks and feels the part of being a business computer.
    Buttons - as other reviewers have noted are difficult to use, poorly conceived and seem to be all over the place, especailly the buttons around the tablet, the QUICKVIEW button especially in tablet mode as I keep on catching it...
    A good sign of build quality is that on day 2 one of the pressure pads on the tablet screen fell off!!!! Ummm, use of superglue fixed that, but is this a sign of things to come...

KEYBOARD - Do not buy this Tablet for its keyboard - it is awlful, Iam already looking into using a seperate keyboard as its so tacky...

SCREEN - yes as noted by other postings, the screen appears poor in comparison to the TX2133, but it has got a tablet screen, so this taken into consideration the screen is usable in day to day use, within the limitations of the low screen brightness and hig reflectability!

TABLET - does exactly what it says on the TIN!!!! BRILLIANT suddenely Windows has become user friendly.

FEATURES - OK this is where the fun begins... LACK OF BLUETOOTH!!!!

On day 5 of using the TX2530 I became aware that the BLUETOOTH wasn't on the laptop, so I looked into buying a bluetooth adaptor... then happened to look on the HP site to find that the TX2000 range comes with BLUETOOTH as standard... Interestingly I phoned HP Tech Support - who also confirmed that the TX200 range should have Bluetooth, so an hour later it was confirmed that the BLUETOOTH on the TX2530 wasn't fitted, so a replacement has been organised for replacement.

Then HP phoned me about thew replacement - they couldn't replace me with a TX2530 with Bluetooth as its doesn't come fitted with it anyway!!!!

NOW the FUNNY BIT - On HPs website the 2000/ 2130/2530 was clearly advertised with BLUETOOTH at the time of purchase... as I had checked all the specs, and had discussed this with the sales person at the time and we both agreed that the difference was that the 2530 was a newer model, different processor and was £100 cheaper!!!!

This point was made to HP, and I also stated that Trading Standards would be interested in this as on the HP website there was a clear specifications for the models, which is called "by way of public offer"

It turns out that the TX2530 OFFER of £599 on the website has disappeared, but the specs sheets for the tablet are still there if you dig really deep... and yes the TX2530 doesn;t have Bluetooth as standard - BUT when I purchased it clearly had the exact same specs as the 2000/2130 bar the processors and supply of a mini remote control.

Even at the time of purchase I had a clear comment and advice about HOW APPALLING THE HP WEBSITE is - basically the TX2000 range is considered a Home use computer, and yet Tablet machines are listed in their BUSINESS section... so how do you find it????? basically its very difficult as HP doesn't allow you to find what you want from its product range, as it guides you to what it wants you to see.... TRY IT AND COMMENT!!! its really annoying..

Anyway - to bringf this to an end...

I have found the TABLET to be BRILLIANT
    The KEYBOARD and buttons are awlful
    HPs KNOWLEDGE on its own products is DREADFUL
    HPs CUSTOMER SERVICE is POOR
    HPs seems in a mess

Finally - remeber I ordered an extra 1GB sim on purchase of the TX2530 as discussed with the sales person, well I have got a 1GB simm and no slot for it to fit into... as there is only 2 slots both ocuppied with a 1GB sim, now surely when I purchased this extra module to make a 3Gb machine I should have either had it factory fitted, or should have been advised that I needed a 2GB sim to replace the one already fitted.

I think this clearly illustrates HP's Lack of understanding of their own products

Best of all how confussing is it having a machine that is supposed to be a HP TX2530, but the badge on it clearly says a HP TX2000.... so just on this basis the machine should have BLUETOOTH FITTED AS STANDARD.

there you go...

I though the details are worth it, especailly if your trying to buy on of these computers.

HP is arranging a collection of the machine on monday and a full refund, on the basis that I am unhappy about not having BLUETOOTH...

I am actually unhappy about how HP has poorly represented this computer, also I am very unhappy to find that the TX2530 has gone up in price from its original price of £599 on the 22nd June to the same price of the TX2000 range of £699... In the past month the price of the TX2000 range has gone from £699 down to £599 and its now back to £699.

Does this show to you that HP doesn't know what its doing anymore...

I INTEND TO KEEP THE TX2530 - but I want HP to acknowledge their faults with an apology for the poor support I have gained from them - and its all down to their persistance in using confussing model series numbers and having multiple models within the series... So I have purchased a TX2530 from the TX2000 range that is clearly badged as being a TX2000 which should come with Bluetooth!!!! Stands to reason doens't it? or am I on another planet from HP?

food for thought perhaps

Have fun

seymor54

2. seymor54

seymor54 Pen Pal - Newbie

HP TX2530

as a TABLET it is brilliant.
    as a computer it is FAST, compared to my old desktop machine
    but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired

look at the micro TX2133 - that has superb build quality, and its considered by HP to be a business machine, whereas the TX2530 is a home machine????

Amazingly it doesn't make much sense how HP evaluates its own product range - perhaps it is on build quality, so on this basis is the TX2000 range a TOY computer???

Ummm

whats your views...

3. J1mmy

J1mmy Pen Pal - Newbie

It's all very true, HP are advertising features the laptop does not have. The series don't appear to have Bluetooth or Firewire, yet these are stated as standard on the website. Although you *could* use this to your advantage too. I mean, after ordering it and using it you may be able to return it on the grounds of false advertisement. On the other hand, you could drop into a PC world and test it out there. But ring them up before you go and make sure they have it on display.

4. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

Personally I've found heat less of an issue with the TX2530 than the TX1030, certainly around the processor area - it's more the underside where the HDD is that I find a problem. I find it tolerable although find an IKEA BRÄDA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60115791) a good way to avoid any heat issues when sitting with it on your lap!

Reflection-wise it's identical to my TX1030 - fine indoors but in direct sunlight (or with very bright overhead lights indoor) you definitely notice the reflection - this is fairly similar to other laptops with reflective screens though.

From an entertainment perspective I really like the bundled remote, good speakers and two headphone outputs on the TX series. The mic seems better on the TX25x0, webcam remains reasonable.

HTH

Alan

5. alanjrobertson

On the Bluetooth issue - I think it's really silly that HP didn't decide to include this as standard (the TX10x0 and TX20x0 series both had it) but I prefer all other aspects of the TX25x0 so I went and bought a BlueNext USB bluetooth adapter for under a fiver (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001880DU0/ref=dp_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1217153577&sr=8-7). I didn't bother with their supplied software - just plug it in and Vista will install it straight away using the built-in MS stack. Have used it for file transfer and 3G DUN to my K850i without a problem. It's a pain that it isn't built-in but it really is a pretty tiny adapter!

Re. HP's lack of knowledge/rubbish website - completely agree, it was only thanks to this site I had the faintest idea what was going on (or indeed how to find the right page to buy it from!).

6. Craig12

Craig12 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think the heat is a real issue, I expected it to be warmer from the reviews I was reading. It does get warm when resting it on your legs, but not too bad.

As for the screen, outdoors it is a handy mirror, completely unusable even on the max power settings, but who works on their laptop outdoors anyway?

I should also add that mine has been almost silent, and the performace has been excellent even with just the 2GB of RAM (though I will be upgrading to 3GB for more breathing space - vista takes up almost a GB itself).

I'm not sure of the sizes of the batteries that come with it but the life span of the largest one is incredibly disappointing. You'd maybe get an hour and a half of high performance work done. I haven't tried out the smaller batteyr yet.

Also, I discovered that the little circular arrow button on the bottom right of the monitor is another power on button, so you don't have to use the terrible one on the main body.

It is also an excellent tablet :D.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I don't know about the UK, but bluetooth was never standard in the states.

8. alanjrobertson

But in the States you at least have the option to customise your machines and add it. The previous models here did had it so it's a bit of a pain they haven't bothered this time. I know a BT donlge is under a fiver but it still uses another USB slot and it'd be nicer just to have it all integrated.

If only we could pick and choose which compoinents we want - or if they actually offered more than a couple of models for sale!

9. evercurious

evercurious Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

You know it's old when they call it a "microcomputer" and it's the size of a human torso!

Thanks for that! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.