TX2500 Processors : difference between 2,0 GHz Turion X2 RM-70 and 1,90 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-60?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Crito, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tontondamerique

tontondamerique Pen Pal - Newbie

One question before I take the final decision to buy the Bestbuy model (in Canada):

Is there a big difference between those 2 processors, that would justify a big price difference (say a $300 difference betwen the Bestbuy TX2508CA and the Costco TX2513CL)

2,0 GHz Turion X2 RM-70

1,90 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-60

Applications : webbrowsing, word processing, photo editing, movies

Thanks!

2. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

The QL-60 is technically a part of the range of CPUs preceding the RM-70. From memory the RM-70 has a few energy-efficiency improvements and possibly a bigger L2 memory. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head.

Go for the RM-70 if you can, but if you're just going to use the machine for browsing the net and word then it probably won't make a difference. Photo editing and movies, though, would probably benefit from the more modern CPU but $300 is a fair difference.

3. tontondamerique

tontondamerique Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, thanks for the quick answer!

When you say "Photo editing and movies would probably benefit from the more modern CPU", what exactly does it mean? Slower Photoshop and not as "fluid" movies watching experience? I would actually do more photo editing and movies watching with this laptop than word processing and web surfing(but then again, $300 difference!)

4. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

The real difference IMO is battery life and heat. The RM-70 is a newer CPU that's designed to save more power (and thus emit less heat). The difference isn't enormous, but it's there.

I don't think it's worth $300 though; it's only worth $100.

5. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

The QL-60 & RM-70 are both griffin/puma class CPU's. So, they are both of the same generation. The Athlon is the budget oriented version while the Turion is the mainstream version(the Ultra's fill the performance category). The QL-60 being the budget version lacks some features, mostly in the power saving field. It has lesser power states, the QL-60 can only downclock to 950MHz@0.95V volts while the RM-70 can downclock to ~500MHz@0.8V. The QL-60 also only supports memory upto DDR2 667 instead of DDR2 800. They also lack hardware support for virtualization(AMD-v). Of course the QL-60 still does retain some of power saving features like independant voltage & clock control, independant northbridge power etc. Performance wise it will be slightly slower than the RM-70 but nothing that would be noticeable during normal everyday usage.

The RM-70 is definitely not worth the extra $300 but it should last a bit longer on battery power & slightly more performance.

6. London

London Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been looking for a cheap laptop recently myself and found a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300 with the QL-60. The specs suggest that it does support 800mhz DDR2 ram. Here is the one I was looking at, of course they may be wrong: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147737

The wikipedia page says it does support virtualization too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cessors#.22Lion.22_.2F_.22Puma.22_.2865_nm.29

7. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, you are correct. it does seem to have AMD-v but remember that the oem controls this option since it can be enabled or disabled in the BIOS. But, it does only support memory up to DDR2 667...
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9484_15670^15673,00.html

In any case both of these features are fairly minor drawbacks and unless you are specifically looking to utilize amd-v, its useless for majority of the people who who use laptops.

8. Crito

Crito Scribbler - Standard Member

On my $3000 HP Dragon (HDX9010) it doesn't matter whether you enable virtualization in the BIOS or not -- the setting is there, it just doesn't work. Haven't tried with my tx2500 yet, but crippling the BIOS is the #1 reason I'll never buy another HP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.