tx2500 official cpu temperature poll

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by mfalderoff, Mar 15, 2011.

?

temperature

1. 55-65c

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. 66-76c

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. higher than 80

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. trihy

trihy Scribbler - Standard Member

Well... I have this tablet since bios F05... and even on F05 was locked...

And I think that F05 was one of the first bios? Im afraid It has been locked since launch :S

Dont know if there are previous bios than F05 :(

I think is totally related to battery life... 6 cell last 2 hours aproximatelly on locked cpu speed... think of full cpu speed, it wont last more that 1 hour and a half..
    Now imagine 4 cell and 100% cpu speed... wont reach 1 hour.

Anyway, at least, for video playback, I found that media player home cinema x64, can play hd video (720p) with cpu at 500mhz! Thats really nice! :) It uses DXVA acceleration, and on cpu locked to 500mhz, It wont even reach 60% cpu use :D

2. octagonalman

octagonalman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, strange, I got mine in August 2008 and have updated from F.05 to F.08 just as F.08 came out, however, my CPU is not locked while on battery. That's why I am reluctant to update to a newer BIOS - to avoid the locked CPU while on battery.

3. trihy

Are you sure?

Cause soft like everest, show me 2.1ghz on battery, but real time cpu speed soft like cpu-z, shows 1.1 ghz max :(

Did you try cpu-z?

Or what soft did you use to check this?

4. octagonalman

Wow, you are absolutely correct; mine is indeed locked too =/
    But I never realised as even FarCry 2 and Call of Duty 4 aren't laggy - I was expecting it to be a noticeable difference from 2.2GHz.

5. trihy

:(

Well, maybe games likes cod and far cry are more gpu based.

Emulators like nulldc, are not playable on battery :( On charger, runs at full speed :D

I think that there is a way to run not at 100%, but something like 1.8ghz on battery, with an undervolt tool, dont remember the name right now, but its in this thread, or in the undervolt one. Anyway is not a completely safe process... so there isn´t a real solution.

6. terantek

terantek Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had this laptop for about 10 months now (the zm80 cpu). When I firstgot it the temps were around the 80C mark when at 100%. Its been under fairly heavy use reccently and started smelling all burny.

So i got speeedfan and the temperatures went up to 105C at 100% cpu (using wprime) and 103C when gaming (LOTRO). When it reaches these temperatures (takes about 5 seconds) games become unplayable because the cpu is throttled to 525Mhz as it tries to cool itself (andd i get artifacts from video temp).

I'm about to call HP to see what theyre prepared to do about it but what i dont want 2 months out from warranty expiry is for them to just put in a new heatsink which will do the same thing in another few months (as i mentioned temps were quite reasonable when i bought it, there is obviously just too much heat which is damaging the hardware and getting hotter over time).

Just wondering what temps other tx owners (particularly heavy users) are getting after 6-12 months of use. I know of many cases where theyve broken mere weeks after warranty. And has anyone been able to get an exchange from HP? Or a refund lol?

Edit: Also today it has started crashing due what the event log calls a "critical thermal event". hrmph.

7. octagonalman

Have you checked for accumulation of dust at the air vents?

8. smileyscout

smileyscout Pen Pal - Newbie

My tx2510us got up to 90C processor temp as reported by CPUZ while running EVE Online and Google Chrome in the background.

9. terantek

terantek Pen Pal - Newbie

yep, cleaned them out several times since i've had it but the heat has just been getting worse.
    I don't really need the portability or the tablet function any more (finished my uni degree :) ) so i think i'll see what hp will do to fix it then ebay it and get a 15-16". Looking at the acer 5542, the one with the radeon 4570, itll handle all my games and its cheeeeeap.

10. Bams

Bams Bunnie's Baby

The issue is simple, all of you are trying to force your notebook to perform beyond it's designed functionality. IF you used the notebook as it was intended, instead of trying to eek out every last clock cycle 24/7, it would last you a good long time.

I've had my tx2510 for about a year now, and it runs like the day I bought it. I put 4gb of Ram in it, throttled the CPU to 95% max using the Windows power settings and then I use a cooling pad when I am gaming on it.

MY unit never gets above 70C under the worst cases (no wait, I think I got it to 72C once), and I use the hell out of my 2510. If you want to game, buy a gaming notebook or desktop and give the whining a breather.