tx2500 - How do I create recovery DVDs?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by benl90, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batatafrita

batatafrita Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I have a tx2500 which came preloaded with Windows Vista 64 bits. I've since formatted it and installed Vista 32 bits, but have left the Recovery Partition (HP_RECOVERY) untouched.

I'd like to create recovery DVDs now, but I have no idea how... I tried searching for exe files on the recovery partition, but didn't find anything helpful - or, very likely, I completely missed it.

Could anyone help?

Thanks! :)

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

you can't. If you figure out how to let me know.
    you've erased the programs that compile and burn the disks. The WIM files in the recovery folder, are just an image of a new vista clean install. no drivers, no software.

3. batatafrita

Hm... I'll try mounting the .wim files with ImageX (from Windows Automated Installation Kit) and see if the needed programs are included in the .wim file. Or have you already tried browsing the .wim file and are sure they don't really have anything?

4. DRTigerlilly

i looked and all i found was a windows directory, program files, hp folder w/ patches, sources folder w/ a recovery folder w/ mui files etc, syslock & user folder (boot.wim) & a standard looking vista c drive. (base.wim)

5. batatafrita

Ok, so I mounted the base.wim file (the one which is about 8gb) using ImageX and copied the \windows\sminst folder to my c:\windows folder.

I then ran the CD Creator.exe application and the wizard pops up, but then it tells me

A quick search on the Internet found many other people with the same problem in many HP models - I'll look into it further and see if I can get around it...

EDIT: I noticed a "writer.ini" file on the SMINST folder... Maybe it is some configuration there that doesn't match my current configuration. I changed the CDWriterDrive and DVDWriterDrive configuration entries to match my current configuration, but no luck yet. I'll keep looking! :)

6. DRTigerlilly

i've been able to do the system restore, but haven't been able to get it to burn cd's it actually tells me it can't find the partition.

7. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

Please let me know if you find a solution - I'm getting exactly the same error message on my machine (unaltered Vista Home Premium 32) since I bought it. HP support were about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

Alan

8. benl90

benl90 Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you try GHOST?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.