tx2500 high pitched squeal

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by xaueious, Aug 9, 2009.

1. billycat

billycat Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe it's the switcher in the inverter for the CCFL for the backlight in the display leaking a subharmonic noise (since the switcher is likely above 100 kHz) on to some inductor that causes a metalic part to vibrate? Is it less like a squeal and more like a high freq chirping?

I can't diagnose this problem since I don't have this problem and dont feel like taking my display apart (especially I just got that nice leather skin on it.)

2. uniterscron

uniterscron Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm still waiting for my tablet to be picked up.

The strange thing is when I put the mouse cursor over a certain item (start->all programs-->Jade Empire for this case) the high-pitched noise stops.

Oh, the noise for my unit sounds even louder when it's not plugged in.

I just wish that HP service would replace mine with a good one :)

Update-----

I just checked with windows task manager and found out that whenever my mouse is over the folder "Jade Empire" the cpu kicked up to about 80%, stopping the whining as this happened.

So I guess the problem is with the cpu.
    Again, RMC wouldn't recognize this cpu so there's no option with software for me?

3. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm...I just uninstalled the stock Vista x64 over the weekend and did a clean install of Vista HP 32 bit and the squeal has all but vanished. There is still a very low squeal but the squealing noise has definitely reduced by over 90%. Those who hear the squeal might want to try a clean install of the OS and hopefully the squeal should vanish for you guys as well.

4. uniterscron

That's a great news!
    I should have tried that before sending it back for in-service repair which should take about a week.
    Thanks for the info, miner :)

5. evensong

evensong Pen Pal - Newbie

Many laptops have this issue. My old Macbook Pro had this squealing issue, as does my father's Toshiba. When I sent my Macbook Pro in for repair, they actually replaced the entire logic board, as well as the inverter for the LCD. It did fix the issue.

I doubt HP will have this kind of service. Unless it gets very bad, I'll just let it squeal.

6. uniterscron

So do you have this problem with your tx2500 too:confused:
    I sent it back three days ago and there's still no update on my customer service order status :(

7. evensong

evensong Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, my 2.4 Ghz does exhibit a high pitched squeal. I am typically not aware of it unless I'm in a very quiet location, such a library. When at the library, no one seems to give me any dirty looks, so I don't think anyone else notices or cares, for now.

Also, Apple even has a official KB for high pitched noises under the keyboard for their Macbooks. This is a common manufacturing defect for all laptops, but I don't feel like replacing my 2.4 Ghz with a 2.2 anytime soon, unless they opt to give me a free gig of RAM (3GB right now).
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1823

8. uniterscron

follow up on my case, having sent it back for service...

I sent my tx2500 to Hp on last Thursday, July17th, and the Expected Delivery Date is July 30th! I don't see how that is 5-7 days!! It's more like two weeks.
    *sigh*

I hope everyone else who sent their tablet back has better luck.

9. An9eluS

An9eluS Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys,

I got a tx2520ea from PCWorld (in the uk) on monday. It squealed incessantly so I took it back and switched it for another the next day. I'm sitting here now typing and it's also squealing away nicely! I'm thinking it's a general problem with the range, I've had other laptops that also did it in the past but i think this is exacerbated slightly due to it being a much more powerful integrated graphics card. I pretty sure thats what it is as it occurs when visual content changes rapidly.

Incidently, if you're playing a game, you wont notice it at all.
    Also, this like many other laptops before it makes high pitched noises when using the touchpad and scrolling via cursor keys.

I hope to soon get old so I lose my high frequency hearing...:)

10. uniterscron

LOL at getting old. Old age does come with some benefits :D

But I don't think the problem has much to do with the gpu, although it is so closely linked to the cpu in tx2500. Lower cpu stages seem to cause the problem.:( :(